HybridZ

280zx styling - bumper idea

Daemione

I've looked around quite a bit, and haven't found anyone who's really tried this on an s130. Basically, I like the styling of the s30 a lot more than the s130. I like everything else about the s130 more than the s30 . . . especially the price and availability of non-molested rust free examples.

Styling wise, a big problem (in my mind) the ZX has lies in the bumpers. Has anyone taken the stock bumper dampers, compressed them (like you'd need to do for some bodykits), and just remounted the stock bumpers & covers? It'd take some careful fab work with a cut-off wheel to trim off the rubber not needed anymore, but other than that it doesn't look like it'd be that involved. And potentially the chance to make a dramatic difference in the overall proportions of the car.

Thoughts?

Dramatic difference? No. Just pop the bumper struts and weld it compressed. Then enjoy crashing into things without the 5mph cushion.

I dunno, it'd take more than half a foot off the length of the vehicle, which I'd consider dramatic. The stock bumpers sticking out so far is a huge eyesore, although I guess they're handy for resting bags of groceries.

I'm trying to remember the last time I hit anything (or was hit by someone) at less than 5 mph. At least half a million miles of driving, it's never happened. And I'm pretty sure that at 33 years old, the original bumper shocks are totally seized anyways.

Edited by Daemione

If you want to reduce the length of the stock bump just unscrew the bleed screw on the stock absorbers and you can compress the bumpers in significantly. It's part of the installation for most of the body kits that go over the front or rear bumpers....

If you want to reduce the length of the stock bump just unscrew the bleed screw on the stock absorbers and you can compress the bumpers in significantly. It's part of the installation for most of the body kits that go over the front or rear bumpers....

Um, did you read my post? That's exactly what I want to do. :) But if I compress the shocks all the way, I'm pretty sure the covers are going to need some significant trimming to fit right.

Just wanted to check in & see if anyone's done it before on a ZX.

No sorry I just glazed over the first part and basicly repeated what you said in the second half - doh!

Depends on what year your car is - 1979-1981 will be less noticable since they don't have the "european style" bumpers like the 1982-1983 cars did. The 1982-1983 had an extra piece to wrap the bumper around the body so you would probably need to trim the extra pieces a bit. I think thin bumpers would look funny on the S130. I'd try compressing or removing them all together. There are a few nice shaved rear ends around ;)

Mine's a '79 - I haven't taken them apart before, so I don't know how much they really compress. But any amount of push in would take some cutting to make the covers fit right.

Took a couple pictures, and painted in a couple rough lines for what would need to be trimmed/chopped.

original-frontchopline.jpg

original-rearchopline.jpg

I've looked at a lot of pictures of shaved rear ends, google image search brings up a lot of results. Using the terms "shaved" and "ass" brings up quite a few more. But I don't think I like it on a 280zx - and it's a lot more work than I want to put into it.

Frankly, I've got bigger fish to fry, so I'm looking for something relatively quick to do as it's getting ready for bodywork & paint by the end of the summer. The bumper supports are all rusty, so they need to come off anyway to be sandblasted & painted, and I want to use some back-to-black on the covers, they're very faded.

Edited by Daemione

• 4 weeks later...

I did it this week. I pushed the bumper in about 3", cut off the plastic "ramp" piece between the hood and the bumper, then trimmed about 1/4" off the back of the bumper so the hood would close.

cool . . . not quite what I imagined, but you've got the later style bumpers. 79-80 non-integrated style might be easier to trim? Hard to tell. What front lip is that?

I'm sorry, but that makes it look like you hit something and didn't bother getting your bumper fixed.

Nah, I don't agree. Just looks different than the bulbous stock bumpers, and that's all we're used to without totally covering them up with other kits.