HybridZ

Ordered coilovers but what else do I need?

Ok guys I ordered the technotoytuning coilovers. I have been reading the FAQ section and trying to do a stage 3 suspension upgrade. I am doing this In steps for financial reasons. I plan to do lcas and new brakes next year. What on this list should I not purchase in an effort to not end up buying parts twice. For example I know that front lcas would take the place of ball joints. 1. New outer tie rods2. Ball joints as stated should be taken care of with the Front lower control arms 3. Front wheel bearings. should I just purchase new? If so do I need 2 inner, 2 outter, 2 Front wheel bearing seals and 2 Front wheel bearing lock nut?4. Rear wheel bearings. These are significantly more expensive. What's needed here same as above but with rears? Should these be done with the brakes instead?

What else do I NEED to get this going. I am broke right now but need to get this project on the road. I also plan on doing bump steer spacers and Tension control rods. Are these a must right away? Thanks guys. I did search I just found so much info and it was tough to narrow it all down.

Front lower control arms still use ball joints.

Don't replace the wheel bearings if they are still in good shape, just clean and repack them. Regardless yes they come in inner and outers. Unless your castle lock nut is damaged, don't bother replacing it.

Rears:

Use your rear wheel bearings if there is life left in them. My experience with rear wheel bearings is they can fail at 50k, but might go 300k as well. If they are in good shape, don't replace, just clean and repack. The rears are significantly more difficult to r&r as you must pull the rear stub axle. These are not typically done with brakes. You will need a 27mm socket and a impact gun slide hammer, punch and hammer to get them removed.

If the wheel bearings are in good shape, at the most repack them and a new inner seal.

The common wear items on our cars are the outer tie rods, ball joints, and TC rod bushings The rears are pretty much bullet proof.

Edited by rejracer

Thanks guys for the responces. I know that front lcas still use ball joints. My point was that the ttt ones replace the ball joint so I don't want to buy them twice. Front bearings are cheap so I'll probably buy those. I'll order the outer tie rods new seals for all the bearings. New cotter pins. I have never repacked bearings before. Are there any special tools involved or is it just taking my hand and packing grease into a bearing?

Ok I decided to not take any shortcuts on the wheel bearings. I plan to do the front lcas in a few months so I am not going to do the ball joints. I also plan on doing the ttt tension control rods when I do the lcas. So for now those are staying stock. I made a list of parts I am ordering. If you guys could look it over and make sure I dont have the wrong stuff and am not missing anything.

post-11227-025658400 1335833739_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...