HybridZ

Side Mount Engine Stand

240zip

I came across a really beefy engine stand for the L6 engine that mounts to the side of the engine. It uses the alternator and engine bolt locations. I think about 6 bolt locations in total. I find it very nice for access to the front and rear and the middle mount position makes the whole assembly feel more balanced. I've only seen one of these in person and that was at Fortunate Auto in Lakewood Denver. I picked up from the former owner of that shop (Bob Bush) this weekend. I've seen examples of side-mount plates in the FSM. Do other people have these side mount stands? Anything to be concerned about when using them?

• 1 month later...

I came across a really beefy engine stand for the L6 engine that mounts to the side of the engine. It uses the alternator and engine bolt locations. I think about 6 bolt locations in total. I find it very nice for access to the front and rear and the middle mount position makes the whole assembly feel more balanced. I've only seen one of these in person and that was at Fortunate Auto in Lakewood Denver. I picked up from the former owner of that shop (Bob Bush) this weekend. I've seen examples of side-mount plates in the FSM. Do other people have these side mount stands? Anything to be concerned about when using them?

003-7.jpg

I built one of these for myself out of 1/4" steel and some scrap from a steel supplier. Very easy, holds the engine with no problems. My engine stand is a cheapie three wheeler and is inherently unstable if you rock it the wrong way with the "normal" mounts used at the rear of the engine. This mounting gives it back some stability and I have yet to experience any problems, but I still recommend a four-wheeled stand.

I used one of the "Nissan Style" side-mount stands when I lived in Japan. I found it very stable and the engine didn't 'spring' when you were working out on the end near the water pump.

Makes blocking the crank very easy as well.