HybridZ

turn signals not working

Hey guys,

I have an early 74 260z and i cant get my turn signals to work. When i turn on the hazards both lights work.

-replaced the flasher units and both work when placed in the hazard connector

-already checked all of my fuses and they are all in working condition

-took apart the combination switch, cleaned, and reassembled

-cleaned connectors with connector cleaner (aerosol version)

any help would be appreciated! Maybe I'm missing something really simple that you guys could point out.

Get the fsm manual wiring diagram, it helped me figure out my lights.

Do you have a multimeter? The 6 pin connector that goes to the combination switch grounds two different wires to a single power wire. Doesn't matter if it's clean if it's broken, makes sure its actually making connections.

Same with the hazard switch. When it is off there are two wires on its plugs that allow the blinkers to work. That has to be closed or it won't work.

http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html

Look at where power and grounds come from and work backwards. Be meticulous on tracing wires and you will find the problem easily.

hey challenger thanks for the quick reply. im in my car right now with my multimeter and my laptop but im struggling to follow the FSM, the page is hard to read and there are alot of symbols that i am unfamiliar with. :blink: i have a basic understanding of how vehicle electrical systems work but this is a real challenge. I'll keep on it and let you know if i make any progress!

Print it all out and tape it together. Get a highlighter and mark the lines relating to the turn signals, trace everything back to a power source or ground. From there with either the voltmeter or continuity check to make sure there isn't a cut wire, corroded connection, etc. following the wiring diagram is just about impossible on a computer, it's hard enough even on paper.

• 2 weeks later...

There are 2 flasher units on the drivers side by the firewall. One is the one for the emergency flasher and one for the turn signals. They are round and about the size of a half dollar.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the opposite issue, my turns work but my emer flashers do not. I did check both relays just to make sure that was not the issue.

I have the same problem in my 75 280z, so I guess this is a question for Challenger: Is that grounding issue the same in reverse, start with the 6 pin and work backwards? I also seem to have an extra unit mounted under there... the FSM says two, one for turns and one for hazards, what the heck could the third one be for - a spare??