HybridZ

1981 280zxt pumpkin

aaronwitha280

Alright so I've been looking around trying to get some ideas of how to get a 2 way lsd. I have seen a few topics talking about switching to a subaru legacy r160 and i shortly found out that they do make 2 way lsds for em but was wondering if i use the pumpkin from the subaru or switch the innards over to the r180 and if the stock cvs mate will mate or would i be stuck looking for different sized cvs or is there a way to convert the r180 into a 2 way lsd and Im just missing the post about it. Sorry a little new with learning about differentials and what exactly they do. Been researching for a good while now and thanks for all answers willing to be given.

The innards of an R160 will not fit in an R180. If your car currently has an R180 in it, the easiest route is to get Betamotorsports R180 Subie side axles.

http://www.betamotorsports.com/products/products.php?cat=11

These allow you to use an R180 out of a newer Subaru STI directly. If you're going that route though you may even want to consider getting a KAAZ unit and having it installed in your current diff.

The innards of an R160 will not fit in an R180. If your car currently has an R180 in it, the easiest route is to get Betamotorsports R180 Subie side axles.

http://www.betamotorsports.com/products/products.php?cat=11

These allow you to use an R180 out of a newer Subaru STI directly. If you're going that route though you may even want to consider getting a KAAZ unit and having it installed in your current diff.

I didn't realize the kaaz would go into the r180 < can't believe I overlooked that... What all does that require? Or can you point me to a write up on it Thanks!

Its the same as installing any LSD to an open diff. All it requires is you finding the correct part # and ordering it. They should supply you with a LSD that works with your side axles.

I believe JohnC deals with OS giken and Quaife, but you'd have to contact him. I'm sure he would know someone that deals it if he doesn't.

I would not do it myself if I was paying $1200 for a new unit though, I'd bring it somewhere that knows what they are doing and if it blows up from a bad install I can come back to them.

But again, the cheapest way is to find a Subie STI diff for like $500-600 on http://forums.nasioc.com/ in the for sale section, buy the axles for $500, and literally bolt it all together.

I found a full locking diff at a machine shop that works on Datsuns for $250 that still needs to be installed in my 4.11 r180 and that will work with the subie side axles (I hope, I got to test fit them at Betamotorsports) and I hope to be using that, although if it doens't work or is way too harsh I'll go with the subie diff.

Edited by BluDestiny

I will be listing my 2006 Subi R180 3.90 CLSD, which includes BetaMotorsports output flanges, and Wolf Creek CV axles as soon as I can find the energy to post the pictures in the For Sale forum. Been looking after a sick relative in the hospital for 3 days and nights - gotta get some sleep....

But is the subie a 2 way or viscouslsd or would I still have to get a hold of a 2 way LSD for the subie differential and I think the best would be to just get a kaaz 2 way for the r180 and have someone install it until I get more time with playing with lsds and thanks all for the info so far been very helpful

What kind of racing are you planning on doing that you absolutely need a 2 way? And what makes you think a 2 way is the best? A 2 way will act like a welded diff if the breakaway tq is too high.

The subie diff is a VLSD and I know people at around 300hp that still haven't complained. Any normal LSD will be fine for a mix of street and road driving.

Edited by BluDestiny

What kind of racing are you planning on doing that you absolutely need a 2 way? And what makes you think a 2 way is the best? A 2 way will act like a welded diff if the breakaway tq is too high.

The subie diff is a VLSD and I know people at around 300hp that still haven't complained. Any normal LSD will be fine for a mix of street and road driving.

Was thinking about using it to do a little bit of drifting in. I understand that the body has a little bit to much roll but a little bit of reinforcing should help then it needs to be switched over to coilovers which from what I understand most people use ones for the 240sx. Then the breaks and hub from a z32. Was thinking of using an rb25det. Reason I chose to use the 280zx is becaus it is pretty light not the lightest but should def work then for the minor body work that has to be done it was worth the price. Only thing that was really bad about it is the suspension and I was planning on replacing that anyway. I understand it's a lot of work but it's also a very beautiful car and very worth it.

If you want to drift cheap, weld your diff. Its not worth the money to get a KAAZ or quaife unit before you have a decent suspension set up.

If you want a much more proper set up, graft a 240sx rear subframe into the ZX. The stock ZX subframe is a piece of poo to work with and has some limitations when lowering the car, such as increase toe that you can't get rid of without modifying the subframe, and even then its sketchy. Once you have the 240sx subframe you can easily buy any 240sx diff.

Not saying you can't drift with the stock ZX subframe, it just isn't optimal by any means. Also as Purepontiackid found out, the stock steering angles will be your biggest limitation.

That's what I had been thinking of doing for a while until I read you could use the subie or kaaz differential figured the 240zx sub from would take more work but if it's worth then that's the plan now does it matter of its an s13 or s14 subframe and I was figuring on going with tein suspension always been a fan

s14 has a stiffer structure and is designed for less squat (at least that's what they say), and its like 1" wider.

Use periods when you write please (I'm really not a grammer nazi). 2 of your sentences blurred together and confused the heck out of me for a bit.

Sorry using my phone and forget to use em. We'll hmmm if an s13 will work, I'd have a donor car for sure. Finding an s14 subframe in Oklahoma is not to easy. I mean stiffer would be nice since it is going to be for drifting. Also thanks for all the info. It's def appreciated.