HybridZ

Ford transmission fluid recommendation

JMortensen

I've run SWEPCO mixed with ATF in my Nissan transmissions for a long time and it really cleans them up and makes them shift super smoothly. I've converted quite a few people over the years.

Recently I got a Miata with a 6 speed and it was pretty notchy going into 2nd. First thing I did was change to SWEPCO, no difference. Then I adjusted the clutch and the problem was fixed to the point where I really didn't think it was going to get any better. There was just a hint of notchiness, but the 6 speed is known as a notchy transmission and it was so mild I didn't think it could be improved upon. I was on the Miata forums and there were A LOT of people saying to use Ford's synthetic MT fluid. Curiosity got the better of me and I tried it today, and honestly it really is better than the SWEPCO at least in this transmission. Notchiness is totally gone, the thing is smooth as silk. $45 for 2 quarts after tax, or about twice the cost of the SWEPCO, but if the first impression is the right one, I think it was worth it.

I would guess that this would be the same for any Nissan transmission that takes gear oil, so there you go. Give it a shot and see what happens.

After driving the car for a couple hundred miles yesterday, the placebo effect wore off. I had to drive home from the oil change with the top up. When I put the top down, the click noise that I thought had been fixed going in 2nd and 3rd when engaging the gear suddenly reappeared. So basically, it feels like SWEPCO but at twice the cost.

Still want to try synchromesh, but not going to drain perfectly good fluid again to try it.

Edited by JMortensen