HybridZ

Rear wheel forward in wheel well

The passenger wheel on my 73 240z sit a lot more forward in the wheel well. I have attached a picture. I took a look on control arm and did not notice anything bent. The bushing are new on the arm, the car was never hit. I have az coilover with camber plate on top, but from the look off this picture looks like the toe is very off the way the wheel is all the way forward. They are stock arms with no adjustment, as i said before looks fine. Is there anything else i should be looking for that can cause this?

post-9249-011942100 1339201990_thumb.jpg

Looks normal to me.

The added flares may not be the same from side to side, causing it to look like the wheels are in different positions relative to the body work. If a quarter panel or wheel well was ever replaced, it could have been installed in a slightly different position than it was originally as well.

Due to parallax/angle of photos,

it's not possible to draw intelligent conclusions.

Get it on a drive on lift and take measurements.

That is the ONLY way (aside from a car o liner) to answer your concerns, and

confirm the problem(s).

Depending upon which photos you look at,

the width of the lower wheel well also

looks different!

Measurements are the only way.

Edited by jasper

I would get it on a lift and take measurements. If you cant do that, jack the car up and put it on jack stands and measure the suspension to the underside of the car body. By the angle of the pics it does look off but measuring it up, will be conclusive.

Your pics reminded me, I have to redo all the trim I black-out on my red z also. Thanks for reminding me, :( thats 4 hours worth of work. lol

Edited by dexter72

I'd get the alignment checked. If the alignment is correct don't sweat it. Who looks at both sides of your car at the same time anyway? Really, would you want to break paint on that beautiful paint job to correct it? Nice car; I just think your flares are not installed evenly. If I let every paint chip bother me on my car, I'd go crazy. Drive the crap out of that thing and go win some car shows. Your car is sweet!

You can't eye-ball this type of thing. Take it to an alignment shop that can do a 4-wheel alignment check. If they tell you that it's "in-spec", then the visual thing is something like the flares being on differently.

I measured from end of each rim to the same spot on the door. I used a few different positions before such as key hold, door handle etc. The measurements i get is the passenger side is about 3/4 of an inch shorter. Which means the wheel is closer to the door on one side. Now this is an old car with a lot of aftermarket parts so i under it is tough to get measurement as stuff may not be the same on each side, gap on door etc. But it does look like wheel is forward more on the passenger side and measurement seem to indicate that. The other reason i think the wheel is closer is because upon pulling off at low speed there is a lot of what seem like hop, feel like the wheels are fighting each other. I know it can be drivetrain problem, but a friend said it could also be the alignment/toe making the wheel fight each other.

I guess the best thing to do is take it an alignment shop and go from there.

You said it had new rear bushings. Did you do the work or was it already done? It's beginning to sound like something was not put together right or something is wrong with the rear suspension. Maybe a bushing got damaged during install. If it was mine, I'd be thinking about taking the rear suspension apart and looking at everything. But, it could be a loose bolt or two, so jack it up and start inspecting things closer, before you take it apart.

The bushing was already installed. I will have to go under there and look everything over more carefully. The z rear suspension is pretty simple, i have a few idea on where to look. I was told to look for bushing damage, tweak in mounting point on control arm and brackets.

RebekahsZ, most of the places that have the $60 alignment will not touch my car because of the camber adjustments on the coilovers. I do know someone who does a good job after hrs though and charges same price. Hoping i can figure out what causing wheel to sit foward or at least he can point me in the right direction,