HybridZ

All factory L28 A/C Compressors same?

ryan95i4

I want to put A/C back in my car (73 w/ 83 L28ET). I see a lot of people sell off A/C systems pulled from their cars, especially na L28's, and Im wondering if the compressor from any year will work.

I ask because I saw MSA sells rebuilt compressors but has separate listings for different years:

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/SAC04

Any of the compressors will work as all they do is compress gas, but be aware there may be physical mounting differences, pulley offsets, hose fittings or electrical connectors. Those are the things to look for when doing this type of retrofit. You can make any one of the work, it's just a matter of how much else you will need to swap out to get it right. Sorry I don't have the answer for you.

I've had this link in my watch list for awhile, but I have not gotten around to giving them a try-

http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/air-conditioning/datsun-240z-260z-280z-compressor-upgrade-kit-623.php

I like the bracket style better than the factory, and it is not much more than the compressor alone.

That link too says 71-78, so im wondering what the difference as far as the compressor and mounting brackets when it comes to the L28ET.

Ive come across several used setups for really good prices, but theyre all off L28s -- Im trying to figure out of they will still bolt up the same to the L28ET. I would have assumed they were all the same, but im not sure now

That link too says 71-78, so im wondering what the difference as far as the compressor and mounting brackets when it comes to the L28ET.

Ive come across several used setups for really good prices, but theyre all off L28s -- Im trying to figure out of they will still bolt up the same to the L28ET. I would have assumed they were all the same, but im not sure now

Pretty sure it should fit the ET. If you can find a bracket from a ZX, they are made from aluminum and are much lighter than the earlier brackets. The aluminum bracket mounts the compressor a bit closer to the engine so you would want to get the matching idler/tensioner assembly too.

I have a few Datsun Air Conditioning compressors laying around. Physically factory s130 and s30 (280z Specifically) compressors are the same (Flange type aside). But the flows are reversed between them. If you have your Factory A/C hoses you'll probably want the s30 compressor or you can just have an A/C shop make a set of hoses to match the compressor you decide to go with.