HybridZ

Fuel line "OUT" from tank, noise and vibration

str8pipez

I've been driving my newly acquired 75 280Z for a week now at just about 200 miles logged. When the car was shipped to me I got it with a full tank which I thought was both odd and nice of the PO. At half a tank I got some sputtering like it was out fuel so I thought the PO didn't fill it up and instead had a bad gauge and I was on empty, so I filled up. Again at half a gauge and now lower I'm getting the sputtering again AND a buzzing sound from the rear of the car. I changed the fuel filter and the fuel that came from the IN side was a nice brownish tint. After changing the filter the buzz was gone and I noticed an instant improvement in throttle and idle. I figured all was well until I was almost home and got another sputter and the buzz noise returned. I climbed under the car while it was running and looked for the noise and found the "OUT" fuel line from the tank was actually creating the noise and vibrating slightly and not from the pump directly as I had assumed it was.

I assume it's time to drop and clean the tank?

Thanks in advance.

Better to check through the fill port and see if your outlet tube has some corrosion perforation... letting the pump suck air. If it does, look for another tank or try to repair the line. Cleaning the rust will likely only make the hole bigger.

Any way to get a look inside that bad tank? I'd like to see what's inside as I could easily just make a new one if there isn't anything nutty going on inside.

Just hate to be without the car while I'm doing this.

Argh, not to be that big of an arse about this, but those of us replying would appreciate if you read the responses. (Meaning, yes, this is written with some malice and intent to be somewhat arseholeish due to mild irritation...) To Wit:

"Better to check through the fill port and see if your outlet tube has some corrosion perforation... letting the pump suck air. If it does, look for another tank or try to repair the line. Cleaning the rust will likely only make the hole bigger. "

How do I do this you asked? Sorry, my misinterpretation of asking a question already answered. In that case my answer would be:

Drain the gas from the tank through the drain plug on the bottom of the tank. Jack the rear of the car up and place it on stands. Remove your right rear wheel, remove the shield behind (directly aft of) the right rear wheel. Behind it you will see the filler neck and hose, as well as the hose clamps that attach to the tank's fill port.

Remove the clamps, possibly lift the filler neck assembly up and out of the way, but you should be able to work it out of there. At worst you deluge the J-Bolts and loosen the straps to semi/fully drop the tank.

Look inside with a Torch, not a naked flame mind you, but one of those things you Americans call a "Flashlight"...

If you don't want to go through all that, FWIW you MAY be able to see something through the fuel sender hole if you take it out (use a flat screwdriver, turn the locking ring to release, remove the sender and peer in with the torch (not the naked flame...)

If it was me I'd drop the tank and see what it was. Doesn't take two hours down and two hours back in...

this is less than a 6-Pack worth of work on a Saturday afternoon...

Got the tank out (2 beer job, btw) and took some shots. One is from the fill neck and the other from the sending unit. I'll get it clean this week. Return line looks secure, but no idea what's on the other side of the baffle. I'll check with the tank guy and see what he says. I feel like cutting the top open just to see what's doing.

post-28933-091252400 1341197626_thumb.jpg

post-28933-040275000 1341197635_thumb.jpg

Edited by str8pipez

That looks more like a Carabao....

290px-Carabao.jpg

Tamaraws are indigenous to Mindoro and are a miniature species found nowhere else in the world.

I would never debase myself with some run of the mill bubalus, but for the rare and sensitive, endangered bubalus mindorensis...

I want exotic, Filipina-Only Tamaraw! Once you go Tamaraw, you know they got yaw!

Why you ask? Their horns are much more swept back, thus facilitating their use as handles during nocturnal activities at which the bubalus mindorensis excels!

Tamaraw.jpg?et=e%2B0rKoveiVekp1b8ZQw5ww&nmid=0

WHAT IS THAT BEHIND ME?

Edited by Tony D

You sick minded bastard!

I am merely a zoophile, though were I from Columbia my thoughts of actual consummation of my animal love would be considered normal...dry.gif

You're not Columbian, perchance are you?

It explains all the coke coming from there, though. Thinking donkeydorkin is normal and healthy...

I mean a DONKEY! Some strumpet of low birth giving it up for anybody and their uncle with some lettuce.

You have to have good bamboo chutes to woo the Bubalus Mindorensis!

Not exactly high maintenance, but at least they have their standards!

Higher than the PO of your car, apparently as well, judging by that black spooge on the bottom of the tank! Aren't you glad you looked in there now? Looks like they were inveterate 'halftankers' the way that top line looks corroded!

Sometimes there is junk that breaks free and lodges in the return elbow just inside the tank. You can clear it out with a brazing rod or coathangar.

Since I don't own one of these cars, what is this pipe ?

because it looks like it has a hole in it.

At least we're not IT Support people buggering rodentia!

Are you having a dig at my profession ?, :rolleyes:

who fixes you PLC equipment when it breaks ?

all in good fun..

Nigel

post-2090-035449500 1341272054_thumb.jpg

On the one topic, it's not a huge job to drop the tank, and If it were mine I'd be pulling it and giving it a clean.

On the other topic...

Tasmania is not part of NZ, so the sheep waxer is not a Kiwi! Besides Aussie use velcro gloves, Kiwis just drop the back legs into the top of our boots so they can't run away... ;)

That line is one of the vents.

The tank was FULL of sh*t so I flushed it like crazy, cleaned with some metal degreaser that contains phosphoric acid, then rinsed, 2 acetone baths, let it dry then coated it with Red Kote sealer (from NAPA).

So it's all back together now (and I replaced the mustache bar bushings while I was in there) and seems to be fine. Feels like it pulls harder and runs better but who knows, time will tell.

PLC's? Me of course!

PC's? Me of course!

I love to go back to the corporate office and hand in my laptop to the guys there who go "You did this....yourself?"

Yeah, because you aren't hopping on a plane to go fix it for me in Chiang Mai Thailand!

huh.gif

My favorite IT suggestion came while in The Congo. "Just go get another laptop in the meantime, put it on your expense report." Yeah, next grass hut with a full-line Dell Service Station I'll just hop right onto the order queue and pick me up a quad-core smokin' bizz-machine! I'll get RIIIGHT on that!dry.gif

Hence, "Rodentia!"

Second favorite was being talked through file migration, and me interrupting to say "Uh, these are identical models, can't I just swap the hard drive and send back the broken screen shell to you?" Silence...then a stammering Uh, yeah, do you think you can do that? Are you comfortable doing that? You have to take anti-static precautions you know--do you have a static strap for your wrist? Now HONESTLY I SERIOUSLY asked "Should I take this and do it on my Static Free Workbench?" The sarcastic tone I received in the reply You don't have to be a **** about it! Prompted me to send a photo of my 8' STATIC FREE WORKBENCH for chip insertion and other Board Work I have to do for the company, along with a shot of the dedicated local ground rod and meter reading showing it was free of stray currents. I mean, HEY! I don't know what he meant, since he was mentioning it I thought some extreme precautions were needed and 'better safe than sorry'--my e-mail with the photos basically said that, and commented "I REALLY DO have a static-free work station!" Guy sends e-mail reply I'm really sorry, I thought you were being an ass! Nobody takes static precautions I thought you were mocking me. What equipment does our company manufacture that requires you to use a static-free work station?

Hence, "Rodentia!"

Edited by Tony D