HybridZ

Joining the Coilover club

You are right, its a strange dual piston setup.

There are 2 pistons, but both are concentric and on the same side as the hydraulic input line.

THe Inboard piston has hydraulic pressure.

THe Outboard piston has mechanical pressure.

I rebuilt them with the kit and its a funky setup.  But trim and kinda neat.

I can LOCKUP all 4  with my 225/50-15 on the rear and 195/60-14 on front with a full pedal push.

I cannot lock them yet with just the e-brake handle, but close.  I need to finish some mods to the ebrake mechanism.

In defence, the front Toyota vented calipers have not fully finished bedding in yet, so they have some yet to give.

I intend to make a CNC swipe through the pad to lower their power and restore balance to the world before long.

There is always a way.

But my w126 Coupe wants Tri-ys, and my ZHP needs LCABs and so we have to be careful with the impulse buying.

TJ

Edited by duragg

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coilovers..

Wow.  Quite a bit more to them than I initially imagined.

I just installed weld-in Techno Toy Tuning Camber plates.  (Great kit)

Since I am now running Camber Plates and expensive Hoosier Race tires I have spent the last week "clearancing" all the parts in all configurations.

For instance:

• Tires need to clear fenders at full squat at all ranges of camber and normal tire diameter and expansion.  The cut is MUCH higher than I anticipated (Yes Johns, you were right)
  • Supporting systems need to clear at all extremes of Camber and compression (roll bar, brake hoses and ducts, HALF-Shafts!, parking brake cable and so on).
  • Front Springs and Top-hats need to be free of interference from the body for smooth rotation.
  • TTT camber plate top hats didn't have the little holes I like for Tie-Wraps to keep the springs in the right place while airborne (it happens).
  • Welded the plates both top and bottom / inside and outside to prevent breakthrough.
  • Cut a notch in the hood for more clearance from the lock nuts and adjustment knob.
  • Used some washers to spacer the Tokico cartridge down a little lower (less poke out the camber plate).
  • Each wheel seems to have its own individual needs and just took some time on each one to get clearance high / low / left / right / in / out / bang / crash..

Hopefully this will all pay off once back on the track with basically NIL suspension issues.

Cut-em high boys!!

Tj

I cant find the sticky for the inserts for coilovers-- i know real low is bz3099 and bz3015 for shortening-- its been so long since i did my car i cant remember what struts i put in it.

have a customer car it will be on 17" tires stock body work- so should the MR2 insert be used - ??

This will be with GC or ? camber plates and 3 piece wheels and not much lower than it was before with Eibach springs - the camber plates will lower it another 1" i just need to decide what Tokikos to order..

I am pretty sure that i put mr2 rears in my fronts a decade ago but then took it back apart and spaced those up an 1" or so to get the car higher with a 4" coilover sleeve.. but i dont want to take mine apart just to see the insert #s if i dont have to

When I bought my Illuminas 10-15 years ago, I was told they were for an mr2 (sectioned tubes). I have one that has lost all rebound dampening, but the darn things have no part numbers on them anywhere and when I actually found my ancient receipt, it had no part numbers either. I'm just continuing to drive on it.

I went to the 3099s all a round even in stock length strut tubes.  They have enough travel, have a 15mm upper mount that fits in the normal COM10 spherical bearing in all the camber plates that fit the S30, and have a better curve then then the 3015/16 for springs over 200 lb. in.

Well if anyone had 3099 right now that might be an option

Are the bilsteins in the stock configuration ok for 200-225 springs, i  have either 200-225 or 225-250 set of hyperco already so should they need revalving for those springs?