HybridZ

KEN BLOCK'S GYMKHANA FIVE

DavD3

This gymkhana was a big let down. It wasnt that good compared with his others.

I agree.

Here is something I wrote on a different website yesterday after watching it, though edited a part for correction...

That video is sick!

I have to say, I disagree. While there were many things that I liked about it, like the jump over the top of the hill, the helmet cam as he went through the uphill snake, and the part where he hit the top of that one hill sideways, and kept turning the air, were all great, maybe borderline spectacular, the rest just didn't have that great of a flow to it.

My favorite is still Gymkhana 1, it was raw, and just about stunting. Gymkhana 2, was ok, it had some great stunts, close to the edge of the piers, but was too produced. Gymkhana 3, was almost on the same level as Gymkhana 1, because it was mostly about stunts done in new ways, or at least at new angles. Gymkhana 4, was neat because of the location, but some of the after produced special effects kinda ruined it. I did like the gorilla on the ladder part, true stunting right there, where timing is everything. I'm finding with Gymkhana 5, there's just too much in "re-cap" of the stunts. Like when he jumped the top of the hill, from one side to the other, they re-capped it 6 times, taking up an additional 22 seconds of video time, on that one stunt alone, even the first time I watched it, I was like: "Ok, enough with the re-caps" after about the 3rd time. A much better way to do it would have been like 2 or 3 of the best angles, and then added the rest to the end credits, or a video of additional footage. I bet if you took out all of the re-caps the actual driving portion would be about half of what it is.

I was expecting much better use of the San Francisco Bay Bridge bridge. I mean they shut it down for this, and all he did was drive across it? Yeah in the credits, they show him doing some donuts on it, but in the main driving portion, there was just straight line driving. There should have been a switch up, chicane, double pylons to slide around or guy in a Godzilla costume on a skateboard that Ken jumps over, or something. I was just very disappointed with the poor use of the bridge.

The part with Pastrana, was yawn inducing, more donuts around someone moving, yeah he did a stoppy and slow speed wheelie, but come on, Travis Pastrana has MUCH more talent than that, have them jump over each other or something, race through the streets, both drifting around corners to the end of the course, maybe have Pastrana take "short cuts" that time perfectly with him jumping over Ken as they go up the the hill to the finish line.

No, it's not "sick", it's just a few minutes of driving that doesn't even equal what he's done in previous videos.

Edited by Six_Shooter

The Bay Bridge has been closed on 3 day weekends because the east 1/2 between Oakland and Treasure Island has a new span being built because of earthquake standards.The west 1/2 will not be replaced and that is what Mr Block was running on.San Francisco is a very fun place to drive.I think Pastrana should have been on a super-motard bike running the jumps side by side.