HybridZ

79zx master cyl on 240z install.

Hey team, just looked around for an exact answer to what I need to know but ony came across one vague reference regarding the issue.

I have a 72z with a 78 brake booster. And recently installed a 79zx Master cyl on it, I bumped across a thread where one member mentioned I needed to bend the lines around a but and flip the Front and Rear lines accordingly for the zx MC? Just want to k ow if this is true as both my stock 240z and the 79zx MC have identical R & F hook up connections?

Based on what you said, you do not have to flip the brake lines to install a 79 280ZX MC on a 72 240Z.

To confirm this simply look at the 280ZX MC. It is marked with a F and R. Now trace the brake lines from the MC location to the front and rear brakes. It is obvious that the 280ZX MC F and R ports hook up the same as the stock 240Z MC unless some PO has changed it.

You don't have to bend any lines. You may have to tweak the lines slightly, but that is all. I find it is easier to start the hard lines into the MC before bolting to the booster. This allows you to line up the threads and avoid possible cross threading a line.

Note this topic has been covered extensively in the brake section.

Edited by Miles

You don't have to bend any lines. You may have to tweak the lines slightly, but that is all. I find it is easier to start the hard lines into the MC before bolting to the booster. This allows you to line up the threads and avoid possible cross threading a line.

Note this topic has been covered extensively in the brake section.

I second this, makes it much easier if you start the thread first!

One other consideration is the push rod between the booster and the 280Zx MC will have to be lengthened for your brakes to function properly. Do a search in the brake section on push rod adjustment. There are many posts on this subject.

So if you have already bolted the MC to the booster you will have unbolt the MC and pull it forward to adjust the push rod. If you don't adjust it correctly your brakes will lock up or be very weak/grabby. Also while you are searching, look up "reaction disk" as you may run into this issue before you are done.