HybridZ

Headgasket bore question(s)

78zstyle

I am about to buy a metal head gasket, the ones I see being sold by kamerari and hks etc say 90 and 90.5 mm bore, while I have a 86mm bore block. I realize that the gasket is going to be a tad larger, but will this work correctly? I don't want to drop 300 bucks (which sucks, by the way) for it to not be the correct size.

Also, any other options on these metal headgasket? Alamo autosports has a HKS 2mm gasket and wants 350 for it.

I am about to buy a metal head gasket, the ones I see being sold by kamerari and hks etc say 90 and 90.5 mm bore, while I have a 86mm bore block. I realize that the gasket is going to be a tad larger, but will this work correctly? I don't want to drop 300 bucks (which sucks, by the way) for it to not be the correct size.

Also, any other options on these metal headgasket? Alamo autosports has a HKS 2mm gasket and wants 350 for it.

Out of curiosity, why do you feel you need a metal head gasket?

It will work fine. I got one for my F54 flattop/ shaved p90 combo. My pistons are 1mm over and I haven't had problems so far. Driven about 30k miles and several autox's recentely

I got mine on sale for around $200 when 5 years ago on some sale that MSA was having. Even though it was a good buy, I will admit that I was young and stupid and thought it would give me a ton of hp.

Out of curiosity, why do you feel you need a metal head gasket?

Because the fel pro gasket I have blew as soon as i did 15 psi of boost. Timing isn't aggressive and tune is pretty good (12 afrs in boost) and running a large intercooler.

Because the fel pro gasket I have blew as soon as i did 15 psi of boost. Timing isn't aggressive and tune is pretty good (12 afrs in boost) and running a large intercooler.

Ahhh, I did not realize you were running a turbo. I have had very good luck with the felpro head gasket in my endurance N/A engine. Pretty modest output, but we torture these things for 24 hours at a time. I made sure the block and head were both dead ass straight, felpro headgasket, and used arp studs torqued to 60 ft lbs, set over night, and then relaxed, and torqued again. A good buddy of mine who builds endurance jet boat engines taught me that technique, and it has served me well. I am sure some of the other turbo guys can chime in and share their experience.

Good luck!

Ahhh, I did not realize you were running a turbo. I have had very good luck with the felpro head gasket in my endurance N/A engine. Pretty modest output, but we torture these things for 24 hours at a time. I made sure the block and head were both dead ass straight, felpro headgasket, and used arp studs torqued to 60 ft lbs, set over night, and then relaxed, and torqued again. A good buddy of mine who builds endurance jet boat engines taught me that technique, and it has served me well. I am sure some of the other turbo guys can chime in and share their experience.

Good luck!

Yeah my fel pro never failed me with my N/A engine nor have I ever heard of them failing with mild n/a builds. Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

If the fel-pro gasket failed, you might cut into it and see if it's a Permatorque MLS or a standard...i've gotten both from them. The MLS is actually a thin steel shim with the viton-type rubber coating on both sides.

Make sure your torque wrench is accurate. I checked my several year old Sears using a hand held suitcase scale and found it was indicating about 10% higher than measured. (I verified the suitcase gauge was within 1/2 lb of my bathroom scale.)

I run 15 psi with Felpro and have not had problems that I can blame on the gasket, including around ten 100+ mile track days.