HybridZ

Oil not going up to the valves

J240ZTurbo

Ok I just finish putting in my new l28et on my s130. I spun the engine a few times just to text compression and all looks good , getting 150 thru 155 in all 6 cylinder, the only thing I notice was I still don't see any oil coming up to the head, is this normal? How many times do I have to spin the engine just to see some oil in there? Did I put too much copper spray on the 2mm hks metal head gasket and I blocked the two little oil feed holes between the block and the p90 head???

Edited by J240ZTurbo

On a fresh rebuild I would want to see oil before lighting a fire. It might take a little bit to see oil pressure, or you could rig a drive spindle to prime the pump before starting. I think I used an old chevy dizzy drive and a drill to prime the motor

Dont remember priming.

You need to fill the pump before bolting it on. If you didn't, put a fitting on the oil pressure tap and shoot oil into the block. That should fill the pump. FYI, you can't prime it like a chevy because the oil pump shaft locks with the crank. Would need to drop the pump to swap shafts and then might as well just prime it.

Edited by ctc

You can try getting one of those cheap hand pumps and a thin rubber hose. Insert through the filter or the oil pressure sensor hole. Pump oil towards the pump. Mine took quiet a bit of oil before it started dribbling out the hole so I can only assume it was going into the pump. I had the same problem. Damn electric gauges are slugs. I remember that once we saw the needle move the slightest bit we just called it ready and fired her up. First second was worrying but it responded after that.

If you remove the pump, don't pack it with engine grease. My father use to do until just this year on a race motor, the Accusump was acting funking. You'd discharge the tank, and it wouldn't read on the gauge and then you would get like 100PSI at higher RPM but idle way low, yet before it warmed up it was nice and high. All sorts of weird stuff. Took the bypass valve out and it was gunked up with grease. I guess obvious, however all the times before the grease melted away. Not suppose to use packing grease if you're running an accusump anyway for that very reason.

If your cranking has sent oil to the filter, you are already on your way and just need to crack the oil line on top of the turbo and crank until you see oil there.......then pour a bit on the cam if it's dry.

After that, I'm not sure how much cranking it takes until you see oil coming from the cam but, with everything oiled up, you shouldn't have any wear issues.

If you add up the total volume of all oil passages, it would probably be more than a quart.

There is a secret squirrel technique to backfeed the pump.

I used some clear plastic tubing and used a plastic tube connector to fit it to a funnel.

Then I removed the oil filter and stuffed the clear tubing into the oil gallery that feeds the filter (not the one in the center but the hole in front of it) by stuffing it in pointing toward the front of the car as much as possible.

I removed the T fitting from the block and screwed the sensor in it's place to ensure no air was being drawn in.

I got it in about 1/2 an inch by squeezing and prodding it after carving a taper into the end with a razor blade.

Then you put a bit of oil in the funnel and crank the engine by hand backwards.

CAREFUL!! some engines with very worn timing chain or tensioner might not like being turned backwards and could possibly skip the chain because turning it backwards will compress the tensioner inward.

You should see the oil going down the clear tube if you leave a bit of an air bubble to use as an indicator of flow.

If you crank half a quart or more and fill the filter, you should get pressure once you put it back together.

After the priming, I took out the oil pressure sender, reinstalled filter, and watched while cranking with a remote starter switch until I saw oil coming out and quickly put the sender back into the T fitting and reinstalled the turbo oil supply tubing......and cracked loose the 17mm line on the turbo.

Then I cranked it until I saw oil at the turbo but I actually had to do this twice since I did it once and got zero pressure.......because the fully primed pump was bad.

If that happens then you have a bad pump or a pickup that is sucking air since you just guaranteed oil is in the pump by the above proceedure.

I replaced the pump with another I had lying around and repeated the process and got pressure right away while cranking.

Edited by HowlerMonkey