HybridZ

For those of you with ford engines...

Jwink25

Those of you running Ford engines...say like a mostly stock 5.0 HO. What is the ideal gear ratio to have? I have several difs laying around, two or 3 R180s and a couple of R200s. I have an R180 in the car now. I think it is the original. So it has what? 3.5 or 3.3 gear ratio? I know one of the R200s I have is a 3.9 gear ratio. Would this be to low? The car will see mostly street action and little highway use. Any thoughts and/or recomendations would be of great help. Thanks! 2thumbs.gif Jason

I have a 1974 260Z with an fuel injected 5.0L and a T-5 transmission. I have driven the car for two years. When I first put it together, the car had a 3.90 gear. I hated it; first gear was useless. I then put in a 3.545 gear, and was much happier. If I could find one, I would use a 3.36 gear in the rear. With the 3.545 gear, I don't use 1st gear in normal driving. I can easily leave a stop light in second at part throttle, nail the gas when I get to about 20 mph, and roast the tires. In autocross trim,the car runs mid-twelve second quarter miles at 112 mph.

So, here is my suggestion: get 3.36 if you can. Otherwise, use the 3.545:1 gears that are readily available in salvage yards.

Guest Anonymous

I agree with 74_5.0. I'm currently running a 3:54 with a tremic 3550-5speed and with my current set-up, hot first gear starts are a waste of time (good thing I had a rev limiter, Doh!) I'd love to find a 3:36-R200.

jon

What kind of first gear ratios are you guys running when you say that 1st gear is pretty much a waste of time? Is this opinion based on lack of traction, or just the very small amount of time spent in 1st gear. With the 315's on the back of my car, traction with my high rpm 289 is not as much of a problem as it would be with a more stock, torquier, lower rpm 289 or 302 with, say, 225's. My T-5 has a 2.96 1st gear, and 5th gear is .80. This was set up for a road course more than anything else, but I was curious as to how these gears compared to your experience(s). I would like to try the 4.11 some time, which is why I'm watching this string closely. RPM /speed with an .80 5th gear ratio is a little iffy, but I think I can get away with the this rear end with the high (2.96 vs a 3.36 or whatever) 1st gear.

Terry,

My T-5 has the 3.35 ,1.99, 1.33, 1, 0.68 ratios, and I am running 24.7 inch tall Kumho Victoracers. I mainly autocross the car, so I spend most of my time in second gear(sometimes on the rev limiter).

I would love to get one with ratios like yours. I have pondered the Ford Motorsports T-5 with the 2.95 1st gear, but it also has a 0.63 5th (yuk!!!). The Tremek like Jon has would be a step in the right direction, but I would like a 0.75 - 0.80 5th gear ratio.

Well thanks for all the info. What I'll most likely do is leave in the R180 that came with the car. It should hold up to the 5.0 ...shouldn't it? At least for a while. I'll get a feel for it and see if I need to drop in one if my other diffs. I am still not sure what tire and rim size I'll be running. If I get the 5.0 enigne I am working out a deal on it will come with a 5 speed. I think he said it was off of a V6. He said it would work with the right pilot bearing. I think that it has a lower 1st adn 2nd than the V8 5 speed. But I think that's all I will have to work with. I also have a "built" C6 that I was considering. Along with a rachet shifter. Not sure if the C6 will fit. Does anyone know how much bigger it is than a C4? Thanks for the help.

Jason

Can anyone tell me what the gear ratios in a C6 trans are? I can't seem to remember. It came off a 351W small block. I am starting to wonder if the V6 5 speed might have to low of gears. But I guess if I use a 3.36 it might be ok. Does anyone know off hand what came stock in a 1971 240Z with a 4 speed?

Oh, and Terry...I would still like to see your car some day. Just not sure when that'll happen.

Guest Anonymous

Yup Terry, that's wheel spin with my puny tires (215x60x14). I think with the 225/245x50/45x16 wheels and kumhos things will be better (I'm thinking of trying the 225's first).

I wish I had your gear ratios. Mine are-- 1st: 3.27, 2nd: 1.98, 3rd: 1.34, 4th: 1.00: 5th: .68

As you can see, too low first, and too high 5th. But then you're right, it's good for using the torque my engine makes (my PB is 4k--6k). And it is good for cruising.

Your 315's have gotta be 27" or so tall??? I'm sure that affects your final drive ratio a lot. My tires are 23.5" tall right now... the Kumhos are advertised at 24.6 I think, so I'm curious how that extra 1" is going be on the track.

As a real world example for your comparison (I'll have to get back to you with rpm/mph but maybe someone can do the math based on myshift rpms??) confused2.gif

Based on my skill and nutsack: At Infineon I never get into 1st gear, and rarely into 2nd. If I do go into 2nd like at either of turns 7 or 11(both hairpins) I'd have to shift really soon after I roll the throttle back on. By the end of the back straight (going into turn 11) I need to shift into 5th (I don't cuz I'm chicken) but I'd only be in 5th for a maybe 2 seconds.

Does this help? It would be hard to compare since I think our cars are 2 different animals. Well, mine's an animal. Yours is a Monster! :D

Jon

Yes, get a V8 T5, or if you run an automatic run an AOD. If you build a street driven Z that doesn't have overdrive, you will hate driving on the freeway.

For example ,

24.7" tire 3.545 rear gear, 0.68 5th: 2500 rpm = 76 mph , 3700 rpm = 112 mph, 4500 rpm = 137 mph, 4900 rpm = 150 mph

24.7" tire, 3.545 rear gear, 1 to 1 final drive: 2500 rpm = 52 mph, 3700 rpm =76 mph, and 6200 rpm = 128 mph.

Choose wisely ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

That makes me kinda wonder what's wrong with my tranny then. I have 245/45's on 17's, which is, at least, not smaller than your tires. I have a 3.55 rear diff (I made sure by jacking the car up and rotating the tires to see how many shaft rotations to tire rotations..sure enough 3.55) but I run like 3k in 5th to make 65. Oh, btw, this is in my 95 5.0 T5 mustang cobra...not my as-yet-to-be-v8ZX.

you can get kits for oem mustang t5 with 3.35 first to convert to 2.95 first gear world class t5 ratios.they are about $400 .you have to rebuild the trans because this kit has a complete countershaft cluster change.a buddy at work has a mustang with a blower that runs low 11's and it took about 40 or 50 runs to break the t5-they are not as weak as some people think when used properly.the 5th gear in that set is .63.its very common for a mustang to be changed to the close ratio t5 and a 3.55 rear .the 3.35 first gear was used because mustangs came with 2.80 and 3.08 rear axle ratios-you needed a deep first with those rear axle ratios.