HybridZ

Pop off relief valve and Blow off valve.

ScumbagS130

I currently have a turbo swapped '79 Z and im going to begin adding the intercooler, blow off valve, etc. My question is, what you would guys recommend I do with the pop off relief valve and blow off valve. Should I block off where the relief valve and just add a blow off valve, or should should it go the other way around? Is there a benefit if i were to have both of them?

People usually block off the relief valve if they plan on uping the boost. As for the factory bov if you plan on adding an aftermarket one on the intercooler pipng there is no use for the factory installed one.you could just cap it off. Do you plan on re circulating the bov or venting to atmosphere? The factory design itself is great in that it recirculates the vented boost so you dont run rich between gears.The downside is you dont get the woosh that sounds so cool. ita a toss up really.

People usually block off the relief valve if they plan on uping the boost. As for the factory bov if you plan on adding an aftermarket one on the intercooler pipng there is no use for the factory installed one.you could just cap it off. Do you plan on re circulating the bov or venting to atmosphere? The factory design itself is great in that it recirculates the vented boost so you dont run rich between gears.The downside is you dont get the woosh that sounds so cool. ita a toss up really.

Where exactly is the factory bov? On mines, where the relief valve should be, its blocked off. And i plan on a Synapse synchronized atmospheric bov. :D

I just wanted to know whether or not I should invest on the Greddy relief valve.

So since I dont have the factory relief valve, im running rich at the moment? :blink:

Im running stock boost pipe and ten psi, the bov decreases lag (between shifts). I dont have an intercooler but it would create some lag you have to pressure all those pipes. The afm is so crude venting to atmosphere really has no effect, on mine anyway

Edited by calvin280zxt

Did you guys use the stock intake boot to the AFM in your swaps, I'm having a huge clearence issue with this brick of an AFM, i'm currently searching options to re route but currently i've got the stock 280zx boot, afm and i've got it bent up to go out where the original fresh air tube was cut through the radiator support on the S30. I'm wondering if will have any affect if I moved the AFM up front of the radiator and mounted it there, it would be cleaner but I'm not sure if the length of pipe would affect performance, i'm not up and driving yet but i'd say mid swap, i have the wiring sorted and am currently working on fuel and air delivery.

The stock system is designed to recirculate because of the MAF. When the BOV opens up that air the the motor is expecting to mix with the fuel is not sent to the combustion chamber. You end up in a rich condition. An added benefit of recirculating is that between shifts that air that's rushing back into the intake pipe is passing through the turbo again, keeping it spinning. This will help with the turbo staying close to boost levels instead of having to build boost again from almost none.

On my sr20det I recirculated and it made a noticeable improvement in drive-ability. I recirc'd into an aluminum intake pipe which did have an effect on the sound... something between a turkey and a sneeze(?) LOL.

This is my experience from my SR motor, not an L. Your outcome may differ.

Good luck!

Ray

I like the gobble gobble, people look at you funny at the stop light but they sure know what it is the second time around and it ain't no turkey!!! LOL. I'm having an issue with my swap currently fitting the huge stock afm from the L28ET swap into an S30, I think I can make it fit but its going to be close. I got my motor to fire up last night and i'm super excited to drive this thing but i've got another few weeks before it will be completed.