HybridZ

L28ET 240z swap wiring help

motomanmike

It took 5 seconds for the first enormous picture to load and it was fuzzy and out of focus. Could be a factor for the low response rate. Plus the fact that those connectors are probably common to numerous years. And you've offered no clues that it's even a Nissan harness. Poor capitalization and formatting doesn't help either. Effort returned is generally proportional to effort put in. Add a little more and you'll probably get a few guesses.

If you don't have a little silver box connected to the harness which are the dropping resistors then it is likely an 82/83. Also look at the distributor or take a pic and post it. If it has a big cap it is the 82/83. If it looks like the smaller 240z cap then it is an 81'.

post-8916-073065200 1345406786_thumb.jpgI've scaled these pictures down, they loaded fine at my house and were very clear when viewing. I appreciate any help you guys can offer. Heres what my distributor looks like.

Then I have 3 plugs closest to the ecu, one is a T plug very close to the ECU. One is an 8 Pin plug from what i've read is the ignition portion with green/blue, yellow, yellow/white, black, below that row I have yellow, yellow, yellow, black. pic is belowpost-8916-018163000 1345406904_thumb.jpg

I know that i'm supposed to run switched power to the yellow wire in the first row, the yellow with white tracer is my coil trigger, the two ends are ground from what i have read but i'm not sure really, I can't find the links to anything clear as far as diagrams.

the bottom part of that plug they said black was ground and the other 3 wires, yl,yl,yl not used?

One plug is a smal T plug very close to the ECU, I don't have anything going to it, wire colors are green and not sure blue I thinkpost-8916-009130500 1345408372_thumb.jpg i've read people ground it i've read peope send power to both sides who knows.

The other plug has a few blank spots in it but has quite a few leads, one I have traced continuity to another pin as ground on the other what i call "ignitino plug" post-8916-002162200 1345408438_thumb.jpg I havn't tried to do anything with it at the moment.

My engine does not have a crank sensor behind the crank pulleys it seems to be the one on the distributor. I have read as much as I can on the post with yadamnfools write up but most all of it refers to an 81, most links are dead and i'm pretty sure what i'm working with is an 82 or 83, I have all the factory molded plugs wired up for the knock sensor, head temp sensor, AFM, distributor, injectors, air regulator on the manifold, and the two plugs for the vacuum solenoids, all grounds are grounded. I'm at the portion where i'm running jumper wires to see if I can get the ECU to light green, and get spark. I have traced wires to find constant hot and ignition hot to jump wherever I need. I have my starter wired up into my old 73 harness, it will crank the motor over, i've previously wired in the alternator upgrade from a zx so it is done with the diode etc and was funtional before the swap. I have not run any power to my coil yet but will when I know the ecu is good and powers up. I'm very understanding if people act like I want to be spoon fed but i've spent 3 days trolling and trying different things very reluctant to send 12volts somewhere it isn't supposed to go. I've printed diagrams, i've read and read. i'll take whatever tounge lashing dished out. I really appreciate anyones help and time pointing to good links or documents for the 82-83 S30 swaps.

Edited by motomanmike

Guys I got it. She's alive!! Now all I have to do is spend another 20 hours tidying up. I cranked with the oil pressure sender out for a bit, verified it was feeding oil. Checked that oil was getting to the turbo and the head all is well there. So I decided to hook up the plug wires, spray in some snap and see what happened and long and behold she fired up, revved to about 2k, i heard the turbo spool up and then she ran out of combustable but WOW i'm excited. There is very minimal wiring involved but its just scary to think you might fry an ecu and a bit of uncertainty since all this was second hand said to be good. So I wanted to read and read up and the rest is behind me so now its on. I'll let you all know when its on the road and complete I appreciate you guys taking a look.

Edited by motomanmike