HybridZ

Firewall bracing to support clutch master cylinder

RebekahsZ

Clutch and slave are stock LS2/2006 GTO. Master is 1" tilton. It is stiff, but not THAT stiff. My foot likes it. But, when bleeding the clutch, my wife says that when I first break the bleeder fitting loose, the clutch actually pushes up against her foot before going down. Send photos of your support brace if you got 'em. I gotta fix this variable-pedal clutch behavior. Can't go to track with this going on. If it turns out that I need a new master, I"ll be reducing to diameter to 7/8".

Somehow, my car knows when I'm racing. Around town, even if I shift fast, I have no problem. Go racing, car fairly consistently won't go into 3rd or 4th. Boogied through the gears hard on my street and came to a roaring stop at the stop sign, then I couldn't get car into gear until I came off the clutch pedal and rested the car for about a minute. Then it drove fine. The variable in this equation that I can identify is my vigor. I would consider drivetrain movement, but car has poly motor mounts and it doesn't move much. Possessed Z-car!

That's the basic idea, except with my master cyl, the hydraulic line comes out of the snout of the master cyl. I have my parts together and the new master cylinder installed. If I get done with work early enough, I'll have car at fabricator tomorrow. Final product to be posted late this week. I had hope that with a smaller master cyl the firewall wouldn't sag so much, but it still does. I think bracing up the firewall will give me a fair amount of more useable pedal.

Do you have a strut tower brace? it would be fairly easy (as far as my overstimulated, under rested, insomniac brain is concerned at 1:45 AM) to tie in a bar from the STB straight back to the clutch and brake MC mounts (ive watched how much the firewall flexes under brake pressure, it needs it too...

Yes, I agree. Will keep an eye on it as your suggest. Sometimes the simple solution is the right one, but sometimes it backfires. Interestingly, while my pedal feels much more confident and firm, I still have clutch disengagement trouble. Going inside the bellhousing - I've tried to avoid it, but it is inescapable.