HybridZ

Best deal/longest running 700R4

Guest Anonymous

What problems are you experiencing with your 700? Do you know what year it is or what upgrades have been done to it?

Updating a pre 1988 is almost an artform and you are wise to seek out someone with a good track record for doing a good job on a 700.

If your trans is a pre 1988, consider buying an 1988+ IROC or Corvette core trans to rebuild instead of yours or another rebuilt from a core of unknown origin.

Many of the most desirable trans updates and shift patterns are already installed as OEM parts in these two trans. (I find that the final cost is usually about the same, trany guys seem to menu price everything regardless of how much is put in to it.) The only difference is that by starting with a performance trans to begin with, the chances are that you will get a good result, instead of a rebuilder best guess at what you want.

Most 700's I have seen go bad, lose the 3/4 clutches. The factory clutches and steels are rated at approximately 50 lbs. of torque per disc. Low performance trannys are about 300 Ft/lbs., while the IROC and Corvette units have four extra discs which will allow up to 450+ lbs of torque. This nine disc clutch pack is called and "X" pack and is a standard upgrade for low performance 700's. There are so many upgrades (over 100) from servos to pump orifices that I would talk at length with any rebuilder to see if they have a tried and true formula of upgrade parts which have held up over the long haul.

I recently found an bulletproof 11 inch lock up torque converter which will flash to 3000 RPM behind my 350. It isn't quite as loose a my 9.5 inch GER converter, but it is close.

This converter is custom built here in Idaho.

It literally combines a 9 inch lockup converter with an 11 inch stocker. It is kind of a funny looking thing because of the two dissimilar diameters. It reminds me of a mushroom one way and inverted it looks like a flying saucer.

The manufacturer tell me that he has clients who have successfully hooked up over 700 lbs of torque through this unit.

Compared to other converter offerings from all other manufacturers which I have compared with, this converter so far has lived up to the promises. Solid lock up function, reasonably high stall speed, and a price which can't be beat. No core and under $400.00 with a guarantee.

This outfit (High Tech) builds these for the 3.8 Buick GN guys who really push some torque through their autos. I believe High Tech would know of a good rebuilder in your neck of the woods who could get you a good result.

If anyone is interested in more info on this converter builder, I will post their address and Phone number.

Do a search on 'transmissions' on ebay. There's a company advertising/selling there that seems to have a pretty good deal (I have no experience with them, so I am not endorsing), or check out BowtieOverdrives.com. I have dealt w/ them, and have a good feeling (warm & fuzzy type icon_biggrin.gif ).

Tim

Guest Anonymous

I have 2 12" LOCKUPS THAT FLASH TOO 3500 .Never buy GER JUNK JUNK JUNK .I have 2 ger sitting on a shelf 10 and 11 30 spline anyone want em ?? And no you may not have my 12"s They r too sweet !!Don't know if I can still get them .My guy sold his shop.But he had a partner I am talking with.