HybridZ

Bought a parts car. How did I do?

Ran across an ad on CL yesterday for a 280z parts car. Call the guy to see what he had. I was just looking for a couple decent front fenders but he really just wanted to sell the whole car. I took a look at it and this is what I got.

100_2101.jpg

Sorry for the craptastic pic. Don't know what happened there.

Anyway, it's a 78 2+2. I gave $350 for it. It's nearly complete but is truly not fit for anything but a parts car. The interior is trash. The pass and rear seat are just about the only thing worth having. Major rust on the lower frame rails.

But this is the real reason I jumped on it for $350.

100_2099.jpg

I figure this intake system is worth the price of admission by itself. I'm salvaging the intake/carbs, front sheetmetal and diff. I will part out the engine, tranny (5-speed), wheels and front/rear suspension. The rest of the car will get cut up and sent to the recycler.

Since I'm not a supporting member and precluded from posting F/S ads, if there is anything that you want not mentioned above, let me know. I'll salvage it and it's free (you pay shipping). But speak up quickly, this thing is going to be gone one way or another in the next two weeks.

$350, I'd say you did okay. The engine you can get $100 for pretty easy. I want the 5speed. You might as well send in $20 paypal so you can list stuff on here. Hybridz is totally worth it. The information on here alone is easilly worth 10 times that.

Those Rims are actually kinda rare if they're the ones I think they are. Lets see Suspension, Diff, Radiator. (Hows the Dash look) Console, Glass, it's all worth $$$ it's just a matter of finding the buyers. On here or on Ebay, there's plenty of people who are looking for parts. Even Seling them all cheap, I think you'll easilly double your $. The down side is that you have to take the car apart. How do the rockers look behind the rear wheel? I need a passenger side cut... Gas tank might be in good shape. A lot of parts are Specific to the 2+2, but many more are interchangeable between S30's.

Thinking about the supporting member thing if I can send in a check or MO. Don't do paypal. As far as the site itself, there's good information here, but....

The interior is totally shot, short of the pass and rear seat. Nothing else inside is salvageable. Well, I need to really look at it more but maybe the door panels but as we all know, those are 2+2 specific. I figured the rims might be worth something but personally, I just can't see paying good money for a 14" wheel. I'll let you know on the tranny when I get it out.

What can you tell me about the Webers? I just want to get my car running. I'm not even sure what model they are or anything. I just know buying this whole car was cheaper than the Arizona Z/Holley set up I wanted.

I would find original SU. The SU are so simple in my mind. Run good once setup and good power.

Those are Weber DGVs. I wouldn't touch them, sell them if you can but don't expect much. As JSM said, find a set of round-top SUs. They'll perform better and be easier to tune. However, that car has hundreds of dollars of good parts: engine, transmission, R200 diff + mustache bar, axles, other misc stuff, etc.

PM Superdan for donation info.

Those are Weber DGVs. I wouldn't touch them, sell them if you can but don't expect much. As JSM said, find a set of round-top SUs. They'll perform better and be easier to tune. However, that car has hundreds of dollars of good parts: engine, transmission, R200 diff + mustache bar, axles, other misc stuff, etc.

PM Superdan for donation info.

I have a pair of SUs that need to be rebuilt. No desire or interest in them. I put the Arizona Z/Holley on my '72 and love it. Would rather do that but as I stated, I stumbled on this car and was hoping to make it work. But by all means, if anybody has a Holley/Az intake, let me know.

As you can see, the Webers don't get much respect, but it's getting hard to find SUs where the throttle shafts aren't worn and leaking, and that makes it hard to tune for both idle and light throttle cruising. Rebuilding the throttle shafts is a few hundred dollars, so unless you have a car worth it, the Weber DGVs (assuming they are in decent condition) aren't a bad alternative. I ran them early on and from the seat of the pants on a stock engine, they're the same as SUs. They're easy and cheap to rebuild as well if they need that. And they're not any harder to tune, assuming you have the correct jets to start.

Let's not let this turn into a for sale thread guys, We've got a place for that, and reasons why they only allow supporting members sell stuff. I'm certain we're walking a thin line with the mods on this one already. Yes it looks like he got his $ worth on the car. Question answered. If we want to discuss The carbs great, but lets keep the "I wants" out of the thread and in PM's. Maybe he'll support this board we all find so useful.

Sounds good to me. I'm more interested in the carbs anyway, that's the main reason I bought the car, that and the differential. I did some searching for info but since I don't really know the model/type, it turned up a bunch of different Webers. Thanks to Leon, I can narrow that down now and get some decent info.

FWIW, this system is just going on my track car for the time being. I have another engine I was building for the track car but know I won't get it done for a while. This way I can get the track car on track next year. Once I have that other engine done I'll probably drop this engine in my '73 and sell it as a running project car.