HybridZ

77 280z no heater

Before i start ripping the dash apart i was wondering if anyone has had this problem. I searched the haynes manual i have along with another 280 z book i have a did not find anything on how the fan selection controls work. I also found several topics in search but nothing specific to my problem. My fan works fine just cant select where the air goes. it just comes out of the middle vents no matter what is selected. also don't have any heat just ambient air. I'm guessing the controller in the ducting is not working. is this controlled by vacuum? where should i start??? I want to fix my AC but not until i have this issue resolved.

Edited by stony

It's probably like my 76, controlled by vacuum. It's operation is described in the AC section of the FSM but you probably just lost vacuum to the reservoir bottle from the intake manifold.

I had the same problem, twice, once when a flow restrictor to the vacuum bottle got clogged (it's inline, black and circular, held on with a metal clip to the "magnet" valve bracket) and again when the tiny hose from the manifold split.

Newzed is right, a lot of vacuum controls on the 280z. On my '78, there were also some solenoid switches in the engine compartment mounted on/near the right shock tower that worked with the system and in conjunction with the factory AC. I was baffled for the longest time as to why my defroster setting never blew air on the windscreen until I discovered that one of the vacuum solenoids had become disconnected halfway to the manifold...

Thanks guys that was it. found a broken vac line at the solenoid under the vac bottle. Next question would be.... if this stuff wasn't hooked up and functioning would it effect the AC system so that it wouldn't take a charge? I was thinking that if the compressor was good it would take a charge no matter what. but this now has me thinking.