HybridZ

Straight-Six Swap

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Does anybody know anything about swapping in a Supra or Skyline engine into a 280ZX? What sort of complications do you run into( other than the ridiculous hours with the voltmeter)? Is it a viable option? I wantmore power, but also want to keep my straight-six reliability, but I need one with 24 valves instead of 12. Any offerings will be much appreciated.

For the Skyline engine such as RB26DETT,

the problem would be with the turbos, etc

interfering with the steering rack, etc on

the driver side of the engine bay. My friend

at Nissan says that is one of their biggest

problems, and they dont have the money to

redesign it. So most likely all imported

Skylines will be right hand drive.

Though I could be wrong, try skylinegtr.com.

Why not just build your straight-6?

Owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

[This message has been edited by Owen (edited August 15, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

You have any idea how much a rb26d engine with turbos will run you in america? Lots. And you can't get parts for it. It's unreasonable and silly to consider it when you can easily get comprable power from a vastly cheaper l28t engine.

Supra engines are not all that pricey, but then you have toyota stuff in your nissan, which would be nice to avoid if at all possible.

Guest Anonymous

I really wasn't considering the Skyline, but I was thinking about the Supra. Building up my current engine I also thought about. But like I said, I want a newer I6. Supras are pretty good Toyota cars, and their engines put out more HP than the old-but-tough L28. Like I said, I want an engine w/ 4 valves per cylinder.

If Mr. Clean wants to put a Supra engine in his Z, then by all means look into it. I don't think anyone here has "silly" ideas. I think there are many powerplant options some of us haven't considered. I'd rather not get into the bickering of what does and doesn't belong in a Z. Eveyone will have a unique opinion. I think many of us can give good advice for the tried and true, and obviously some will be easier and cost less than others. I you do decide on an unconventional swap, do your homework. You will probably be faced with more headaches than average. If no one ever tried something different, we wouldn't have this great site.

JS

John, you are right. That thought of yours about not bickering about what should and should not be put in the Z engine bay is part of the Mission Statement on the home page of this site. And it's exactly that argument that gets such BS going over on zcar.com, etc. Remember the infamous Ron Stoy?!!!!! mad.gif

Back to the tech stuff. I was spending some of my many long duration long distance phone calls with Jim Biondo once and he mentioned a very quick (10s or 11s, I'm not sure, maybe even 9's) 240Z he had seen race at a strip that had a Supra Turbo engine and transmission. This guy was going very quick and it seemed like the swap was fairly easy from what I recall. I think the length of the engine might have dictated cutting out the rad support and moving the radiator forward, but my CRS is getting pretty bad wink.gif.

It's been done, and it was quick. I don't know how it would handle, as a turbo inline 6 can get pretty nose heavy with all the turbo piping and the length of the engine.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@home.com">pparaska@home.com -

I've had my sights on a Supra running around town. 4" exhaust and sounds like a formula racer. Never seem to be in the right car! I've got a lot of respect for the imports: Toyata, Nissan, Honda, etc have all made their lasting impression on me with their durability and performance... Anyway, start with a Z. Anything that enhances performance from there is an open book.

Silly me rolleyes.gif haven't read our mission statement. Usually just jump into the forums. What can I say...It says it all

JS

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited August 16, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited August 16, 2000).]

yo, that is an ill swap right there,

supra is pretty hardcore, lots of power there

ever think about the 300z twin turbo

swap???? skyline maybe better, but very expensive and also hard to reconfigure to

lhd, maybe also try those silvia 1.8, i know its a four banger, but with built turbo ive seen them get 9's in japan.....

right now im a v8 z er, i got my car like that and im really just building him up

for reliability,and thats the cheapest and the most bang for your buck, but if i could do it agian i would probably buy a stock z and throw a turbo six of some sort, maybe even go grand national block, another safe

swap from what i see from that man Scottie-GNZ....check him that setup looks crazy....

but yeah, v6 or straight six, that turbo is great, check out zcar.com a while ago some guy was selling skyline engines and wiring harnesses,hope you go through with it,,,,,

good luck