HybridZ

No JDM/Euro 240 Tails?

~KnuckleDuster~

Or make molds and cast them. It doesn't look too difficult.

I might consider adding it to my product line if the interest is there.

http://www.alumilite.com/HowTos.cfm

http://www.alumilite.com/HowTos/TailLightMoldingEquipment.cfm

http://www.alumilite.com/HowTos/TailLightCastingEquipment.cfm

Edited by cockerstar

Or make molds and cast them. It doesn't look too difficult.

I might consider adding it to my product line if the interest is there.

http://www.alumilite.com/HowTos.cfm

http://www.alumilite.com/HowTos/TailLightMoldingEquipment.cfm

It dosn't seem that hard to me eigther but I don't posses the skills to do so. It's weird to me that the 260/280 guys have repo euro tails but the 240 guys don't. You would think theres more 240 enthusiasts than 280 guys. Id be interested in anything less than $300 bucks

Unfortunately it appears simple market forces are at work...

The potential sales of reproductions (and originals for that matter) of the JDM amber tails are to a very limited and select group that even appreciates what they are buying. Also don't forget the market we are talking about here... to repeat an often quoted adage... "copper wire was invented by two Datsun guys fighting over a penny".

That said, with every 'tool up' and production there is a cost involved that must be recouped and profited from if it's going to be worthwhile. Which means to do it right, you have to do it professionally, factor in the potential sales and set pricing accordingly. Based on what I've seen thus far that price works out to about $800 plus.

Those links above are very labor intensive just to get one item produced (and we are talking three different colors just for the lens) and I would challenge anyone using that process to produce a decent (and DOT approved) tail light that looks professionally done. And just think about that further if you were to do a run of say 10 ~ 50 ?

It comes down to if you want to play you have to pay, despite what you might think is fair.

For what it's worth I paid the $800 for my repro jdm tails.

Edited by BenJammin

Any lenses that I would make for sale would not be DOT approved, and for "offroad use only".

Pricing would still be high, but less than the $800 mark I'm assuming with a few committed buyers. I'm guessing that 'tooling up' using this method would run somewhere in the $750-1000 range.

Heck, I would have to pull some tails apart to see if the method I'm considering would even be viable, which would require the user to cut their OEM lenses and do a little bonding, or send them in to have them converted over to a JDM/Euro reproduction.

Honestly, I bet Clearz can produce a higher quality lens for less than what I could charge.

They were doing clear turn signals at one point, right? Maybe a place like ZCCJDM or MSA would be interested in contracting Clearz for the lenses since they could make the initial purchase in bulk, making it worth both company's time.

For my 280z euro tails I paid like $300, I dont know where you get 800 from? I think you should search and post a wtb. I definetly know people would sell them for $800 but you can find really great deals if you look. Try the jp ebay or yahoo and uk ebay. There is a place that made reproduction 280z tails and they SUCK they look like garbage. They come red on white. Im sure a few have seen them, they look horrible and they are expensive for no reason. Reproducing them wont be easy or cheap. I have a euro 280z tail, if you want you can have it to do the mold for it? Its rough but atleast its not broken, just sun beaten. Its not the same a 240z but very similar. Either way making a copy isnt easy, you have to find trusting resources.

For my 280z euro tails I paid like $300, I dont know where you get 800 from? I think you should search and post a wtb. I definetly know people would sell them for $800 but you can find really great deals if you look. Try the jp ebay or yahoo and uk ebay. There is a place that made reproduction 280z tails and they SUCK they look like garbage. They come red on white. Im sure a few have seen them, they look horrible and they are expensive for no reason. Reproducing them wont be easy or cheap. I have a euro 280z tail, if you want you can have it to do the mold for it? Its rough but atleast its not broken, just sun beaten. Its not the same a 240z but very similar. Either way making a copy isnt easy, you have to find trusting resources.

No offense, but your post is full of contradictions. You lament the price yet point out the crappiest repros are still expensive and that "reproducing them won't be... cheap". Also 280 euro tails are one thing, 240 another entirely as for availability. It all boils down to these things commanding a certain price.

Edited by BenJammin

No offense, but your post is full of contradictions. You lament the price yet point out the crappiest repros are still expensive and that "reproducing them won't be... cheap". Also 280 euro tails are one thing, 240 another entirely as for availability. It all boils down to these things commanding a certain price.

Aggreed thank you.

Thanks, but wait a minute ! You sold your 240 in favor of a 370Z, correct ? Did you end up missing the classic and get another one ? :)

The original plan was to get a 370z. Then I came to my senses and realized that was a large ammount of money for a stock car that would just depreciate in value over time. I did some modifications to my IS300 5spd but found that to lack the personality I was after. So now im in the process of selling the IS and im really glad im back in the classic z game.

How is your car coming along? Last time you came to buy a part off me but I can't remember how far along your project was..I think that was back in 2008?

Please see this link:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/thread34591.html

Euro repops of good quality were good amount of cash and limited a few yrs ago. I got lucky, I got my NOS set that was mounted on a car for a few months for $400. 260Z/280Z euro tails were used all around the workd from 74-78 so plenty of them out there to be had hence the price difference.

How is your car coming along? Last time you came to buy a part off me but I can't remember how far along your project was..I think that was back in 2008?

They do have an allure, congrats on seeing the light !

My Z is in storage. Although I have just about everything I need to put it together, it took a backseat to the 620 pickup which is nearing completion. Was just working on the brakes today. I basically took apart a wrecked 2001 Frontier and jammed it inside the 620... KA motor, auto trans, wiring harness, plus all around disc conversion and coilover conversion. I took it down to the frame and had the bed and frame sandblasted and then POR-15'd everything. It's running and just a few odds and ends to get it all back together. Looking to get it painted by the end of the year and then post a build thread over on ratsun. It's taken awhile but at least it has moved forward. Now aren't you sorry you asked ! :P

Edited by BenJammin

My Z is in storage. Although I have just about everything I need to put it together, it took a backseat to the 620 pickup which is nearing completion. Was just working on the brakes today. I basically took apart a wrecked 2001 Frontier and jammed it inside the 620... KA motor, auto trans, wiring harness, plus all around disc conversion and coilover conversion. I took it down to the frame and had the bed and frame sandblasted and then POR-15'd everything. It's running and just a few odds and ends to get it all back together. Looking to get it painted by the end of the year and then post a build thread over on ratsun. It's taken awhile but at least it has moved forward. Now aren't you sorry you asked ! :P

The 620 sounds like a cool project. I think I saw it last time we met up..

Please post that build over here too! I'd be interested in seeing that.

Sorry to thread jack!