HybridZ

High Speed Vibration

rayaapp2

1972 240Z with Z31 R200/280Z mounts.

Bushings are Delrin all around.

I have two suspicions. The bushings on the inner LCA are badly worn and I can visually see toe in and neg camber at the rear tires. Im sure there is some play. The car has a 350SBC. Sadly my Speedo does not work, but I guess around 60-70mph I get a vibration that oscillates and continues into a full vibration by about 75mph. Its rattling stuff loose everywhere. If its not those bushings Im going to be left looking at the driveshaft.

Has anyone experienced something like this and found worn LCA bushings to be the fix? Im fixing them this weekend, but I do not want to have to send the driveshaft out last minute to be rebalanced and hope that fixes it. Im planning on driving the car in just over a week for a three hour trip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

SO did you find what was wrong. I'm having the same issue with my bone stock 280. around 50 it starts and only vibrates under load (acceleration and deceleration). its not a tire shake. i have looked at and pried on all ujoints and all look OK with the exception of the front ujoint on the drive-shaft. but it has very minimal movement if any. Starting to get real annoying

I have the same problem. I have a 71 s30, I installed the whole technotoytunning rear suspension with the r200, I went for a drive and the rear of the car beggins to shake at 40mph and gets worse as I speed up, their is no noise just vibration, I contacted TTT and their advice did not help. wheels are balanced and aligned, everything is well tightened...Any advice would be much appretiated

First thing to narrow down is if the vibration is purely speed related, or if its RPM based as well. Throw the car on stands, load th suspension, and run it. Whatever is causing your vibe should show itself. For the guy with the TTT stuff - Check your pinion angle, and the working angles of the driveshaft. If you don't know what that is, google it! Important stuff to know for any driveline project.

Another thing, is it coming fromt he steering wheel area, or do you feel it more in the seat? Could be something as simple as a weight fell off your wheel, or driveshaft. You might have eaten a U-joint in a half shaft, or in the driveshaft. OR your pinion angle might not be happy. at least diff is in a fixed position in these cars... makes it a little easier.

I hate vibrations.