HybridZ

Show pictures of your droop limiters

Next project on my car is to limit droop so that my coilover springs stay on the seats when I jack up and lower the car. I have felt very uncomfortable with my current (spring tilting when unloaded situation). I've got some ideas, but there are guys on this forum smarter than me. Please post pictures of your systems if you've got them. Please don't let this thread turn into a debate. Just post 'em if you got 'em. I've seen bjhines set up (cable system)somewhere, but can't find it and jnjdragracing (chain system) sent me pictures already.

Edited by RebekahsZ

I'd also like to see something a little better looking than 2" wide seat belt material being used as limiting straps. I was thinking about making some custom length 1/8" clear plastic sheathed steel cables with the right kind of crimped ends but I haven't crawied around and looked at where the best place to attach them, both top and bottom and front and rear, might be. With all of the people that have done coilover conversions, you'd think there would be some pretty neat ideas for this out there.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

Thanks for getting me to the right thread. I searched the whole forum and the suspension forum without the hyphen. There it was in the fabrication forum waiting for me. If anybody else has any more pictures send them. By the way, the reason I'm interested is really simple-I'm tired of pinching my arm when I let the car off jacks and have to straighten up the spring. And I'm tired of having to jack the car so high to change tires. I've finally got a jack point that lets me jack whole side at one time. There may come a time when I'm lifting my front tire(s) at the strip so I want to do straps instead of the helper springs. I've learned something from each reply. Thank you.

Edited by RebekahsZ

You know the nut that fastens the top of your shock to the tophat? Basically it raises that point anywhere from 1" to 3", which eliminates your spring droop.

I've never seen a set for S30's, but I've considered fabbing one. I ran them on my Miata, its a must for coilovers that don't have independent height and preload adjustment. Helper springs will keep tension on the spring when the load is taken off the suspension, but it doesn't help the fact that as soon as you set the car down, your shock is overcompressed.

• 6 months later...

Not fitted to a Z, but here is my offering. Handbrake cable attached to rod end and home made turnbuckle. Cable is held into rod end with a grub screw (cable is puhed into a recess opposite grub screw so held very securely) so length can be adjusted when first fitted to the car and fine adjustment is taken care of by the turnbuckle.

reardrooplimiterfinshed_zps3c8574c9.jpg

reardrooplimiterfinshed1_zps8ef35f07.jpg

reardrooplimiterfinshed2_zps03dfc405.jpg