HybridZ

Rowing some gears

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rear gear is just a 3.54 - R200.

I don't think there is a "part number" for these axles. I just called them up, told them what I wanted, sent them a pair of axles which they rebuilt to length, and they showed up on my steps like you see above. Call the DSS, and ask for Frank. He's who hooked me up.

What did it cost for the two axles to include rebuild and custom shafts? Did they put new boots on ( to boot)?

I paid $150 for the axles, had them shipped direct to DSS.

I then paid the DSS $600, which included:

-new 300M bars(stronger than 4140)- 36 spline - to my length specs

-new 4140 chrome moly 36 spline cages

-new ball bearings

-new boots

-cleaning

-powdercoating

-assembly

+ $40 for boxing and shipping.

I thought it was very reasonable, considering they are almost 100% new, and with an outstanding warranty (full refund if broken).

Thats not a bad price, but I would still need to drop the money for the 300ZXT adapter flanges. I was reading up the other day, and I think an 8.8 out of a fox body would fit in its stock length, which means all I would need to do is weld on some brackets for a torque arm setup, and get some universal coilovers and I would have a near bullet proof axle. Its sooo tempting! I probably saw it if you had, but ive looked at so many Z threads it all blurs together, but have you had a chance to run it at the track yet?

-Will

Thats not a bad price, but I would still need to drop the money for the 300ZXT adapter flanges. I was reading up the other day, and I think an 8.8 out of a fox body would fit in its stock length, which means all I would need to do is weld on some brackets for a torque arm setup, and get some universal coilovers and I would have a near bullet proof axle. Its sooo tempting! I probably saw it if you had, but ive looked at so many Z threads it all blurs together, but have you had a chance to run it at the track yet?

-Will

Not yet. I have an opportunity to take it to the 1/8 today actually. However, its a 2 hour drive each way, and I can only be there a max of 2 hours, because I get to come back to work at 11PM! Everything is ready, so I might just take it, as it will be 2 weeks before I can take it again, at a bare minimum. I just don't want to drive 4 hours to make 2 passes (probably going to get the boot for no cage).....

And if you don't plan on ever doing any corner carving, DEFINITELY go solid axle. IRS stuff is expensive for one, you're SUPER limited with gear ratios and posi units for two, and this one-off business is a PITA, and even MORE expensive. I could have a fab 9", installed for what I have in my junk - and I have a welded diff!

Edited by SUNNY Z

Worth $600 just to let somebody else fight the damn snap ring. When you specified length to the DSS, did you specify total length or just shaft length? I'm gonna go shorter this winter, so I can start using my camber plates to be able to switch between Zero camber (drag) and 3-ish degrees (autocross). Because of the axle length and my shortened LCAs, I can't really push my camber plates in at this point.

Looks like you are making friends well in your new town-and then punishing them! 7.11sec 1/8th mile-Nice. Is that on your slicks? Talk to me about how it handled with the ET Drags. What was the mph thru the traps? With the 3.54, where you able to stay in 3rd going thru the traps? You leaving the line in 1st or 2nd? With the 3.90, my times were just as good leaving in 1st or 2d, but I'm reaching for 4th just before the traps. Gonna 3.54 it this winter; got the diff already, just gotta swap in the CLSD and make a puke can system. Always on the look out for a 3.36.

Looks like you are making friends well in your new town-and then punishing them! 7.11sec 1/8th mile-Nice. Is that on your slicks? Talk to me about how it handled with the ET Drags. What was the mph thru the traps? With the 3.54, where you able to stay in 3rd going thru the traps? You leaving the line in 1st or 2nd? With the 3.90, my times were just as good leaving in 1st or 2d, but I'm reaching for 4th just before the traps. Gonna 3.54 it this winter; got the diff already, just gotta swap in the CLSD and make a puke can system. Always on the look out for a 3.36.

Yes, that was on the slicks. MPH was 98.xx on the 7.11 pass, but I did a best of 99.93

It dances pretty good on the "big" end. Yep, started in first, and I was launching around 3500-4500, depending on the pass, and able to stay in 3rd. I would definitely go with the 3.54, and less gear and it would be a dog out of the hole.