HybridZ

Rowing some gears

Sweet video of the Z06 and your Z! I tried a quick search to see the details of your 280z build (engine specific) with no luck. What are the specs. of your engine? Sounds pretty "tame" in the video. Is it pretty much stock? I'm doing LS swap in my 240z and would like the ability to blow away a few Z06s.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From yesterday ;)

SunnyZ,

I have to say that video is impressive. I had a C6 Z06 for 4 years (pictures attached) and I never was beat as bad as you beat this one and I ran a lot of fast cars from GTR's to Vipers. In fact I was really happy with the way that car put the power to the ground especially when I went to 345's in the rear and adjustable coil overs. The main reason I sold it is because I wanted something exclusive. I got tired of going to car shows and several Z06's would show up, but that's typical GM crap. They said they were only going to build around 3000 Z06's per year when I bought mine and then they opened the flood gates, now everyone and their sister has one. They are doing the same thing to the ZR1.

That's why I decided to sell it and dump the money in my 280Z.

Anyways it is encouraging to see a video like this especially since I miss my Z06 and sometimes wonder if my 280Z will be faster than my Z06 used to be. I would assume it should blow the doors off a Z06 with 605hp on motor and 200hp extra on the bottle. If I can get it to the ground...... :)

Thanks for sharing the video and well done in representing the Z community.

post-14557-059453500 1348111253_thumb.jpg

post-14557-098741700 1348111282_thumb.jpg

post-14557-024547400 1348111358_thumb.jpg

post-14557-044151200 1348111391_thumb.jpg

Sweet video of the Z06 and your Z! I tried a quick search to see the details of your 280z build (engine specific) with no luck. What are the specs. of your engine? Sounds pretty "tame" in the video. Is it pretty much stock? I'm doing LS swap in my 240z and would like the ability to blow away a few Z06s.

Stock bottom end LS1 - 346"

11.3:1 CR - runs on 91 pump

AFR 205 heads - 62cc chambers

Vengeance VRX4 cam - 228/230 .588/.592 on a 112*

Fast 90 Intake / Nick Williams 92mm TB

Supporting Valvetrain

We guess it makes about 450 to the tires. Not a radical setup by anyones standard, but it has TORQUE everywhere. I can put it in 6th at 1000rpms, and just roll into it with no issues. Very driveable.

Id like to see some pics. All the better to help me down the road with my build. Been watching Keiths thread hoping for a fix. BTW impressive vid pulling on that zo6 :).

Here is my "modded" clutch pedal "box". I did this so I can reach the adjuster without a stream of four letter words :lol:

The two nuts against each other are so I can turn the pushrod with a wrench. The other against the pedal is the locknut (obviously). Just thought I'd clarify.

Also, even though I fixed the pedal side that had an oval hole, the clevis needs similar treatment (replacement)

2012-09-20_22-17-27_643_zpsfc6c6ca9.jpg

Edited by SUNNY Z

Cool sunny thanks for the pic. I will be looking into this soon. Just test fitted my motor for the first time!

Dont mind the overspray :P my detail guy will take it off like noting.

post-27908-009827600 1348444674_thumb.jpg

Edited by 240z7273
Please Resize Images to: 1024 x 768 pixels or close, before placing on HZ.

Stock bottom end LS1 - 346"

11.3:1 CR - runs on 91 pump

AFR 205 heads - 62cc chambers

Vengeance VRX4 cam - 228/230 .588/.592 on a 112*

Fast 90 Intake / Nick Williams 92mm TB

Supporting Valvetrain

We guess it makes about 450 to the tires. Not a radical setup by anyones standard, but it has TORQUE everywhere. I can put it in 6th at 1000rpms, and just roll into it with no issues. Very driveable.

Thanks for the info.! I went with a Livernois stage 2 setup (CNC ported stock heads, their stage 2 cam, kooks headers etc.) on an LS2 project a few years ago. I was super impressed with the way the motor ran - It made ~450HP at the wheels. Now I'm working on the 240Z LS1 project - I'll take your info. into consideration when I upgrade things - torque is where it's at.

Sunny, super-impressive beating a Z06, that sort of seems to be the standard for "is my car fast?".

Appreciate the info on the Driveshaft Shop. I didn't know anyone could rebuild the stock style 300ZXT halfshafts with new hardware and I've been super-disappointed with my boneyard ones that each have a couple degrees of lash in them. In fact I went back to the 280Z halfshafts for now just so I could enjoy driving my car for a bit before the cold months hit. This is a more economical option for me than the Porsche-style ones from Wolf Creek and I own the MM adapters anyway at this point.

You are always one step ahead of me! I have all the parts for the clutch-mounted MSD 2-step, but this damn clutch held me up! Send pictures of your install if you can. I think I have the clutch under control now. It seems to have been the master cylinder.

:D

It is quite possibly the world's simplest bracket. I'll post them up sometime this weekend when I get a chance. I just adapted an off the shelf push button starter from NAPA, and a 6" piece of 1/8"x1" strap steel.

Well it was a bittersweet night at the track. I only got three runs in. However, I set a new personal best.

7.46 @ ~ 99

7.08 @ 99.8

7.06 @ ? printer was broken :angry:

6.9x @ BROKEN - this was going to be a gooooood pass.

heres the 7.08 pass

2012-09-28_20-45-45_619.jpg

Next pass I got the two step working, and the track was holding good. SO i decided to set it at 4500 and let it eat. POW! ... It hooked.

2012-09-28_21-48-31_193.jpg

2012-09-28_21-48-49_714.jpg

All in all a great night (other than breaking). This cheated me out of $100 running in the heads up street car class later in the night, but oh well! I just pulled it, and drove it 1.5 hours back! No issues. Gonna go get the other chunk out of the diff today lol.

Edited by SUNNY Z

Been waiting all morning for your post. Ouch. I never dreamed we'd be breaking there. So you were able to drive home on 1 axle because you are welded? Any oil left in your diff? Looks like I'm goon be setting my 2-step at 2000 and leaving it there. I'm so super bumbed for you. If I'm gonna have to keep the launch rpms that low (so much for the bias ply theory (how much air you inflatin' to)), that opens things up for some drag radials to make the fast end safer??? When you gonna start your 9 inch conversion thread? Once I get my 7.0 I may slap all the camber back in it and lean more toward going around cones.....the amount of maintenance it takes to drag race one of these cars....

Been waiting all morning for your post. Ouch. I never dreamed we'd be breaking there. So you were able to drive home on 1 axle because you are welded? Any oil left in your diff? Looks like I'm goon be setting my 2-step at 2000 and leaving it there. I'm so super bumbed for you. If I'm gonna have to keep the launch rpms that low (so much for the bias ply theory (how much air you inflatin' to)), that opens things up for some drag radials to make the fast end safer??? When you gonna start your 9 inch conversion thread? Once I get my 7.0 I may slap all the camber back in it and lean more toward going around cones.....the amount of maintenance it takes to drag race one of these cars....

Haha sorry. We didn't get back from the track till almost 3 AM, so i slept kinda late. Yep, and the other half of the broken axle is still in the hole, so no worries there. I had the tires at 14# cold.

I have to give a HUGE shout out to my buddy Kyle at 1320video. He put together this video (from two weeks ago). If you dont know who 1320 is, GET WITH THE PROGRAM. :lol: