HybridZ

Differential cooler

MADMIKE

I have an European differential cooler setup, came stock on the Z31s, that I am converting to use AN fittings.

This is how the setup works, pretty simple really.

Diff cover: same as the stock z31 LSD cover but it has been drilled behind the breather for a pickup tube with filter. Both plugs have been replaced with sensors for the thermostatic switch that operates the pump.

Housing: same as the stock long nose z31 in the USA with one caviat, the top of the housing directly above the carrier has been tapped for the return line.

Pump: mounts to the frame uses banjo feeds. Pumps about a gallon a minute if I remember correctly

Cooler: long with only a few rows, mounts to the frame 2 nipples feeding the side

I'm never satisfied with stock so I am replacing the cooler and the nipple/hose design with a nice AN setup with a slightly bigger cooler core. When I eyeballed the stock hoses they looked to be 5/16 maybe 3/8s, that would translate to a -5 or-6 respectably. Most aftermarket setups look to use -8 so that worries me a bit. Besides that I need to locate a banjo to AN adapter that will work with the stock pump or replace the part. The last problem is welding a fitting to the diff housing and cover for the supply and return.

474469_3603056310001_1901629553_o.jpg

Mike

Edited by MADMIKE

Have you considered just sticking with the Euro-spec cooler and installing a temp sender and gauge for extra insurance for your LSD?

Seems to me like a much more reasonable/affordable option when compared to upgrading components which likely won't be taxed in the first place ;).

I have piles of AN fittings and braided hoses of all sizes. I like tidy leak free setups.

The core on the cooler has a broken nipple that I could replace and run but frankly it is 25 years old and from Russia. I would rather run a new Morcal unit like I have on my engine cooler setup.

The welding of the AN bung to the cast iron diff housing will be the only tricky bit. It will require a lot of preheating I'm sure.

-6 is fine for a diff cooler with the pump flow you list. One important thing to keep in mind is the diff oil level with the pump not running. You will have to mount the cooler, pump and lines lower then the stock oil fill level in the diff. Otherwise, with the pump off, the oil fill level will be too high.