HybridZ

Name that hole

Dershum

This one's got me stumped. After blasting/priming, we've exposed this rather oddly shaped hole in the back of the passenger front fender well (there's an identical one on the other side). There's some rather odd plating that looks intentional; either replace a previous rust hole, or was the original panel that was there and has simply rusted through?

Either way, I'm not quite sure what to make of it. I'm assuming these holes aren't supposed to be there, but since they're kind of symmetrical and identical on each side, I figured I'd ask if these are supposed to be there and it's something I need to simply repair but leave open (not even sure why).

Hoping for some thoughts.

post-22903-094468500 1347499841_thumb.jpg

There was a doubler plate installed there factory. They seem to rust there for some reason, probably because the second layer of steel hides it till it's too late.

It's a fairly common rust spot, trim back to replace with clean steel.

Awesome...thanks for the quick reply.

Let me tack on an additional question. In terms or repair panel quality (for things like wheel arches and the such) I'm really looking for opinions on patch panel manufacturers. I've done a bunch of research online, and it seems like opinions vary wildly between who produces the better patch panels. I've heard tabco is pretty good, but I've seen opinions where items like rear doglegs tend not to match up at all. But I've heard similar stories about MSA's patch panels and BlackDragon's.

I realize this is probably going to open a can of worms, but I'm looking for opinions/personal experiences so I can source some patch panels.

Awesome...thanks for the quick reply.

Let me tack on an additional question. In terms or repair panel quality (for things like wheel arches and the such) I'm really looking for opinions on patch panel manufacturers. I've done a bunch of research online, and it seems like opinions vary wildly between who produces the better patch panels. I've heard tabco is pretty good, but I've seen opinions where items like rear doglegs tend not to match up at all. But I've heard similar stories about MSA's patch panels and BlackDragon's.

I realize this is probably going to open a can of worms, but I'm looking for opinions/personal experiences so I can source some patch panels.

I can confirm that the rear 1/4 panel sections as well as the rocker panels that BlackDragon sells are made by Tabco (I am local to BD). I am assuming the other sellers are just re-selling the tabco panels as well. When you hear differing opinions from people, I assume they just have different expectations.

I can confirm that the rear 1/4 panel sections as well as the rocker panels that BlackDragon sells are made by Tabco (I am local to BD). I am assuming the other sellers are just re-selling the tabco panels as well. When you hear differing opinions from people, I assume they just have different expectations.

I kinda thought that would be the case, but since I wasn't sure I didn't want to say anything.

That being said, I don't suppose anyone knows what the going cost of the panels from Tabco is? in everything I've read, the prices on their website are really out of date, and I keep meaning to call during business hours, but I've been so damned busy at work I just never get the chance.