HybridZ

240 bumpers on a 280?

Rosco

I have a 1975 280 and I like the look of the 240 bumpers. What does it take to make them fit? Or where's a link to this topic? I know it's been talked about a thousand times.

Thanks ~Rosco~

Some people make brackets or buy some off ebay. really simple job to put them on but to get one of the rear bumper shocks off you have to drop the gas tank. As for the actual thread type in "240z bumpers" into the search bar and you will get many options

Ha ha, I just did this. The previous owner gave me a new gas tank, 240z bumpers, and the brackets made by AZCARBUM.

The front ones are pretty much self explanatory

Remove bumper (two nuts connecting bumper to strut per strut, 14mm)

Remove strut (three bolts per strut, 14mm), the very last bolt is pretty tricky, I had to use a swivel socket plus really long extension to loosen it. After that, you have to be careful of getting the socket wedged between the bolt and A/C condenser.

If you get the same brackets that I did, then you'll have to follow these next steps.

Remove tow hooks (on each side there are four bolts each, two you can see, then two underneath the bracket 14mm)

Remove lower grille (Three phillips screws)

Install brackets where tow hooks were, but do not tighten them all the way.

Trim lower grille to fit (if you decide to keep it)

Then put on bumpers.

Tighten them up and adjust.

The rear will make you cry though, I did it yesterday, but I may not have all the steps or bolt sizes off the top of my head.

Remove bumper

Remove gas tank. There's two vent hoses in the rear, two gas hoses in the front, and the one for the filler on the right side. Once that's all loose, and make sure you've drained the tank, remove the straps.

The tank is pretty light, but you'll need two people to remove the straps while someone holds it up.

After that, you'll remove the covers for the struts, I think two 10mm, after that lower the car, open up the hatch and you'll find the nuts holding the struts up, I think there was three of them, that were 14mm.

At this point, you'll notice theres a screw on the front struts (where the bumpers were connected). SLOWLY untighten the screw, and you'll hear air escaping, once it's done, on the back side of the strut, there's a 10 or 12mm nut that you take out. Once it's completely removed, take a hammer and beat front portion of the strut that had the phillips screw in it. The strut should come apart in two pieces.

The struts should come out, and that's pretty much it.

Honestly, it took me like three hours to do it. It took me an hour in the front because the screws in the grille were stripped and seized. The rear, I didn't have any issues with the bolts and that took the remainder of my time.

Was it worth it? Heck yeah, my car no longer looks terrible, and it kinda feels easier to turn (unless it's in my head)

If you don't have the bumpers yet use this one from Black Dragon for the front:

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/icatalog/zr/full.aspx?Page=20

Looks just like the 240 even though the listing is for a 260.

Do you have any idea on where to find the 240 rear bumpers? I need both bumpers but the rear is what I need most. I do like the price or the black dragon front bumper though. Thanks for the tip.