HybridZ

should it go faster

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ok i always thought respectfully of course that the tranny decides how fast the car will go. well that and the rear. now i had my 240 out ona long deserted roadandwith having the l28 and dual webers it beats rs camaros and a lot of 5.0's. i estimate they would catch back up to me at about 100 mph. but anyways at 5000 rpms doing approx 125 to 133 mph it just wont go any faster. now i still have 2000 more till redline. so is it just that the engine cant push anymore or somewhere between tranny and rear it wont go anymore.

with the suspension work and so on it is very capable of atleast 30 to 40 mph faster. so is there an easy adjustment to change this or just need more power to push the puppy.

Sounds like you have hit the aerodynamic wall with your current HP platform. I was able to get my other Z up to about 168mph with a high compression FI L6 motor and a bunch of aerodynamic tricks. However, I also had about 250HP at the flywheel which helped.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

You've hit your force equilibrium for your current setup. Your rearwheel hp at 5000rpm is equal to your aerodynamic resisting force at that speed. You need to increase power or decrease resistance to bump your equilibrium point. L28T's go into the 140's/150's so I'm sure you can to with some mods. What's left to be done on your ride for easy mods (overall breathing)? If you have 2k rpm's left you may as well jump your rear gear. I just got a v. excited feedback from a Z31 owner (with lots of mods) who installed a 4.11 I sent him. My system crashed so I don't have it handy but in short: "Off the line really improved but in the upper rpm band at higher speed the gain is unreal, I could not accelerate or even reach these topends before that I can now comfortably run up to." He was just crawling up to 140 or so before and now can actually accelerate to that. Often an overlooked mod is maximizing your gearing. Keep your eyes open and look around for some 4.11's and enjoy:-)

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.