HybridZ

Five lug conversion verification

Okay so I was thinking to myself about going to five lug so I did some searching around, and I wanted some verification on it.

First, my car is a 76 280Z,

So the front of the z31 is a direct swap over. But I've read two different statements, one saying that it would bring the entire hub 3/4's of an inch, and one saying that you would just have to get a spacer for the rotor.

Does anyone know which one is correct?

The rear on the other hand, we'll have to redrill the hubs using one original stud, and four new holes.

What calipers and rotors do I use for the front and rear??

Both statements are almost correct.

The Z31 hub moves the flat surface the wheel resides against out 3/8" of an each either side (3/4" total track width increase), AND a spacer is required for the rotors to install the Z31 front hubs in the conventional way. The reason I say "conventional way" is because I did not follow the directions that you will find most commonly for this swap. Most commonly, the Z31 hub s swapped onto the S30 strut, using a spacer for the rotor, to move the rotor inward, to have the rotor itself line up with a vented Toyota 4x4 caliper.

I did mine differently, in that I also used the Z31 caliper, and made an adapter to hold the Z31 caliper, that also negated teh requirement to space the rotor behind the hub.

The rear needed to be drilled.

A couple pictures of my swap:

254737_10150724032980051_6726976_n.jpg

285591_10150724032925051_7717996_n.jpg

281748_10150714592455051_7711445_n.jpg

225756_10150724033095051_2052310_n.jpg

282477_10150724032875051_23108_n.jpg

Thanks Six!

Okay so it was a misconception, I thought we would be able to bolt on the z31 caliper also.

So if I went with the toyota caliper then I would have to space out the rotor (z31 rotor right?)

I also agreed, if you were to sell those brackets, I'd definitely be in line for one. It would make the swap ten times easier for everyone else.

This is the first time I've had any serious positive feedback on them, that I can recall, thanks for that.

I think many people haven't tried this because it makes going back to stock or stock type brakes impossible, without also replacing the strut. I've been running this set-up for a little over a year, and works well, it just seems that my brake master may be a tad undersized.

Yes, using the Toyota caliper requires the rotor spacer.

How much of a spacer is needed for the rotors? I'd like to get some - if anyone makes some. I'm currently running washers as spacers, and it makes the rotors feel REALLY warped, as the washers didn't crush the same when i torqued the hub to it.

Anxiously awaiting.

Or you could section the bottom half of the z31 strut onto the s30 top half ;> this makes gtr brembo brakes a bolt on swap!!!!

see my post for how i did it. kinda extreme unless you get all you Z31 parts for free.

http://forums.hybrid...__1#entry127130

Oh my, that is a lot of work you did there. I'm not comfortable on welding though.

Sunny, can't you get the spacers from Modern?

Oh my, that is a lot of work you did there. I'm not comfortable on welding though.

Sunny, can't you get the spacers from Modern?

LOL :lol: Can anyone get anything from there? I can't even get a reply email, you better believe that if there's not even any contact info, I'm not going to blindly send money.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so let me get this straight one more time....

Z31 front hubs + rotors, and Toyota NON VENTED Calipers will all bolt on, but will give me a TOTAL of 3/4 increase (meaning 3/8's per side). No need for spacer right??

On the rear, since I'm afraid of ordering it from Modern, I may have to go with the MSA maxima conversion instead.

If that's the case, Maxima caliper + Z31 Rotor (and drilling the original hub) would be correct also.

Okay, so let me get this straight one more time....

Z31 front hubs + rotors, and Toyota NON VENTED Calipers will all bolt on, but will give me a TOTAL of 3/4 increase (meaning 3/8's per side). No need for spacer right??

Spacer between the hub and the rotor is needed.

On the rear, since I'm afraid of ordering it from Modern, I may have to go with the MSA maxima conversion instead.

If that's the case, Maxima caliper + Z31 Rotor (and drilling the original hub) would be correct also.

Not that I'm aware of, I had to reduce the diameter of my Z31 rotors, to use the Maxima brackets, and Z31 caliper hangers, along with the 280ZX calipers. The Z31 caliper hangers move the caliper away from the center of the wheel, compared to the 280ZX caliper hanger.

LOL :lol: Can anyone get anything from there? I can't even get a reply email, you better believe that if there's not even any contact info, I'm not going to blindly send money.

Ross from Modern Motorsports just emailed me, said he was back in action and ready to go. Very apologetic. Not sure if that helps any of you. I might give him a shot though and will report on the outcome when I finally do.

Ross from Modern Motorsports just emailed me, said he was back in action and ready to go. Very apologetic. Not sure if that helps any of you. I might give him a shot though and will report on the outcome when I finally do.

Nope. I got fed up with it and drew up my own spacers in CAD, and sent them to my friend with waterjet connections. I should have the spacers by the end of the weekend.