HybridZ

high compression l28 on pump gas?

Ghettodeffender

No.

It's safe to say that a cammed L28 running lean with retarded timing and a new cat might pass smog. I'd be interested in how that car tests 6-9 months from now...

In order for his car to fail SMOG Testing, his engine would have to be producing something like 4x the emissions that its producing now. Could that be really possible just due to break in? How about an F54/P79 L28 Cammed, but running normal compression with a completely stock head and block? I would assume that setup would produce even less emissions.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was around when we changed over from leaded fuel to unleaded and we had huge problems with ping on out high comp engines. The answer was to pull timing and loose power but we then got into water injection and got all the timing and power back . We just used the vacuum style injection.

It's as simple as putting a 1/8 pipe with a 45deg chamfer on the filter side of the butterfly so it gets no vacuum at idle and as the throttle opens it does .( so the nearest edge of the pipe is 1/8  from the closed plate).

Then run clear vac line to a 1/8 pipe going into water resivour .The pipe needs 5-10 tiny holes where the vac line goes on.

If you put the vac line over all the holes you get max water, sliding it back to uncover more holes lets it suck air and get less water. simple except I suck at explianing. Worked well for me though.

The clear line lets you see the water being sucked.

Edited by col

In order for his car to fail SMOG Testing, his engine would have to be producing something like 4x the emissions that its producing now. Could that be really possible just due to break in? How about an F54/P79 L28 Cammed, but running normal compression with a completely stock head and block? I would assume that setup would produce even less emissions.

Unless the car is tuned properly for the catalyst (controlling its temperature which is AFR, CR, Timing and cam dependent), the converter will degrade in a matter of months.

As for the other question, see above.

Edited by Leon