HybridZ

intake alternitive for turbo applications

stephen87

let me start off by saying i did do a good bit of searching, granted, it was 3 am, and i was tired..

anyhow, after doing some reading, it seems all of the stock intke manifolds have fairly restrictive runners, and such, and a custom log/sheetmetal intake is pretty costly. has anyone taken a clifford or azc intake and converted it to efi? weld on injector bungs, and use a 4150 style throttle body and a bonnet, or a sheetmetal throttle body elbow? i don't have one in front of me, so i don't know if the runners on those are worth anything. unattractive as it would be looks wise, would that perform better by a good bit, than a stock nissan casting? would it support a 450-500 hp application? (yes, i know there are many other factors in making an l series produce those kind of numbers, but strictly speaking on intakes)

The intake manifold is not a big concern at the horsepower numbers you list. Some port work, extrude honing, etc. will get all the flow you'll ever need out of a good L6 fuel injection intake manifold. There are far more important things you should be thinking about at 500hp.

What johnc said. It would be easier to cut open and port a stock mani. The clifford is a pretty good flowing piece, but for what you'll spend on a 4 barrel tb and complicating the pluming your better of with a tradition setup. A mustang tb is $25 at my local yard, that's what I'm adapting to stock (ported) runners and a sheet metal plenum. But I'm a cheap a$$.

Jeff P is making over 650 on an extrude-honed stock intake with a runner diameter not opened big, but providing an anti-reversion lip of 1mm compared to his head ports.

It costs him 30 cfm on the runner over a match-ported 45mm Canon Triples Manifold.