HybridZ

240z won't go into gear

bestlowrida

That's right - the return spring IS missing. I don't think it is the problem, but you are right. I guess the pressure plate is acting as his return spring. Lowrida, there should be a spring between the little hole in the slave cylinder housing and the little hole in the end of the clutch fork. Any old spring that fits would do. However, this shouldn't affect the ability of the engine to run...

I may be wrong here, it's been a while, but I don't think there is a return spring on the Z after 71. The earlier models had an adjustable slave, and the later ones did not. The later ones were returned by the pp and they just sit there until you push on the clutch pedal again. The earlier ones were forcibly returned by the spring, so you had to adjust the slave out so that there wasn't a whole lot of throw before the slave engaged the fork. IIRC the early forks have a hole for the spring, the later ones don't have a hole. Since the trans has been swapped, it's likely running the non-adjustable slave.

Edited by JMortensen

I may be wrong here, it's been a while, but I don't think there is a return spring on the Z after 71. The earlier models had an adjustable slave, and the later ones did not. The later ones were returned by the pp and they just sit there until you push on the clutch pedal again. The earlier ones were forcibly returned by the spring, so you had to adjust the slave out so that there wasn't a whole lot of throw before the slave engaged the fork. IIRC the early forks have a hole for the spring, the later ones don't have a hole. Since the trans has been swapped, it's likely running the non-adjustable slave.

yeah but I looked under and saw some holes for the spring, ill check again and see what kind if 5 speed I have.

• 2 weeks later...

OK just a quick update so I finally received the spring for the clutch slave cylinder and pop it on and drove the car for about 15 mins and it did fine but my Co worker (bmw tech)stopped me and heard the car in neutral and told me I will need a throw out bearing soon. Anyway of telling which 5 speed I have? I guess looking at the transmission to find some number maybe? Sorry for the newbness again lol.

For the "release bearing"; do you hear a chirping, gravel/rumbling coming from the center of your car? Does it go away as soon the bearing begins to make contact on the pressure plate? Not sure why the spring would have fixed your issue, and think there is something else here. I am also in the SS area, i'm in Rockville.

For the "release bearing"; do you hear a chirping, gravel/rumbling coming from the center of your car? Does it go away as soon the bearing begins to make contact on the pressure plate? Not sure why the spring would have fixed your issue, and think there is something else here. I am also in the SS area, i'm in Rockville.

Cool I should make a video, yeah the rumbling sound when in neutral then goes away when pushing clutch pedal, the car is park at my job in the auto park in briggs chaney if you have time to stop by and check it out.