HybridZ

Things to consider for an Auto 260z converted to 5spd

santanawhite

Hi guys, sorry if i'm asking silly questions but this is my first project ever do i'm not too sure about a lot of things.

I have a 260z with no engine and automatic transmission, I also just bought an l24 with a 5spd. I would like to get that setup running. I'm thinking im gonna have to add the clutch pedal assembly (I have a manual 240z parts car that I can probably get this from) the clutch master & slave cyls, other than that what other things do I need to do or consider for the conversion?

Edited by santanawhite

You will likely also have to trim the shifter opening. I had to open up my shifter opening at the front of the hole. I did post pics back when I did it, but I think they were on a server that is now no longer running.

The clutch pedal should bolt into your existing pedal box, though I have seen a couple different pedal boxes that caused there to be difficulty in swapping just the pedal between them, due to alignment with the clutch master being off, when using the wrong pedal with the wrong pedal box.

Also the auto cars used a neutral safety relay mounted to the firewall above the starter, well my '73 did, I simply bypassed this, by running a jumper between a pair of pins, sorry, I don't recall which pins. I later added a floor mounted neutral safety switch because I prefer to have one. In stock form, manual S30s did not have a neutral safety circuit. The reverse light wiring plugs into the manual trans light circuit.

Other than that, you pretty much have it.

If you have a few alligator clips and wires, you can test out which wires connect to the reverse lights and the neutral safety switch.

If you can, just grab the whole pedal box and swap it. Your wrists and back will thank you as swapping pedals (at least for me) was the worst thing in the world!

You will have to custom bend a hardline from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder. IIRC a 4' section of line from NAPA does the trick. And in that vein of thinking I replaced the stock rubber hose piece with a stainless one from MSA.

Good luck!

If you have a few alligator clips and wires, you can test out which wires connect to the reverse lights and the neutral safety switch.

If you can, just grab the whole pedal box and swap it. Your wrists and back will thank you as swapping pedals (at least for me) was the worst thing in the world!

You will have to custom bend a hardline from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder. IIRC a 4' section of line from NAPA does the trick. And in that vein of thinking I replaced the stock rubber hose piece with a stainless one from MSA.

Good luck!

I found it easier to swap just the pedals, than remove or partially remove the dash to swap pedal boxes.