HybridZ

Anyone retrofit LED's in the stock OEM gauges

• 1 month later...

I did this, hated it and put regular bulbs back in. Here's the part that nobody talks about: LED lighting only emits a very narrow color spectrum which creates 2 problems: 1. LED lights are only one color and light filters dont work on them. For example lets say you just buy a bunch of white LED's to use on your green filtered gauges blue filtered high beam indicator and yellow blinker indicators, everything will be white even with the plastic lenses that are supposed to change the color. I countered this by buying green illumination LED's, blue for the high beam indicators, red for emergency, yellow and orange for the blinkers (tried both). I got everything to be the right color but even with the brightest LED's I find the gauges weren't as bright as regular bulbs which brought me to the second problem: LED light doesn't reflect well and all of the gauges are lit with reflection. Brighter LED's only made a tiny difference because only a small amount of light would reflect off of the white painted walls of the inside of the gauges. If these were backlit gauges (meaning the light came thru the back of the gauge face and not around to the front) i think LED's would be great.

I have an extra clock lying around that i am experimenting with lighting using an electro illumination panel (think timex indiglo). Its the right color and i think it would be bright enough but those panels are ignited with 120v AC so i would need to install a circuit to power the unit.