HybridZ

280zx with 240sx calipers and fastbrakes 12" rotors on the rear

BMAC

I am looking at upgrading the rear brakes on my 280zx because I have 12.2" 4piston front brakes w/ wilwood portioning valve and looking for a little more of a balance. I wanted to add more rotor surface to help with the cooling and also keep my e-brake. That is why I have not gone with a wilwood 4piston rear. I was wondering if the 240sx rear rotor would fit on 280zx hub. The only reason why I would put 240sx rear brakes on is to get the Fast Brakes 12" upgraded rotor size. Any ideas for improvement on my brake system would be appreciated.

http://www.fastbrakes.com/product_p/fastbrakes%20240sx%20rear%2012.htm

The rotor hats have different "offsets". The 280zx I'm sure is deeper (taller or whateveryou want to call it) than a 240sx. That's problem 1. The second problem is that even if it did match up, you'd need to make a bracket to space out the caliper or else it wouldn't even match with the new diameter.

• 3 years later...

Ok, so this thread is old, but I am currently working on a brake upgrade for my s14 suspended s130 and have done a lot of comparing of brake parts from s130, s13, s14, z31, z32, etc.  I can tell you that the 82-83 280zx uses the same rear rotor as the 91-98 240sx, and that the 79-81 280zx used a rotor with a much deeper hat.  However, the caliper brackets, even though they use the same bolt spacing, have a different height and offset.  The 240sx caliper bracket is shorter (about 11mm) and deeper (about 17mm) than the 82-83 z bracket, but probably about the same depth as the 79-81 z bracket.  So...

Yes, a 4-lug 240sx rotor will fit a 280zx, but the caliper placement might not be correct without a custom adapter.

You could also get lucky with another nissan caliper bracket.  Several will bolt up with different results such as the 84-89 z31 (same brake pad), and 02-06 b15 (different brake pad)

To give you an indication of the ridiculous combinations I have tried, for my s14 suspension project, I am currently running (front) 85 maxima 274mm rotors, 85 z31 brackets, and 93 altima calipers, and (rear) b15 se-r 278mm rear rotors, s14 calipers, s130 brackets, and 17mm spacers.  I believe Fastbrakes makes a rear caliper bracket that might work with the 278mm rotors, but they only offer it with their in-house 11" rotors which may or may not be identical to the Nissan 278mm rotors.

http://www.fastbrakes.com/product_p/fastbrakes%20240sx%20rear%2011.htm

Good luck