HybridZ

N47 Head + N42 Block

IneedAmotor

Hello all, I own a 77 280z. I recently ruined my N42 head and found a N47 head on what appears to be a 78 280zx in a junkyard. from what i see so far the head is compatible with little to no modification. I know that a few people have done this swap and i was looking for advice or warnings that people have. Also, which camshaft would be better to use? If i switch camshafts do i need to switch cam gears or are they the same? Are the zx injectors larger and swappable with the 280? ANY ADVICE IS GREATLY NEEDED. thanks in advance for any comments

All of the answers to your questions can be found via the search function on this site.

All the stock cam gears are the same.

I'm assuming, since you didn't say, that your setup is stock EFI.

Look here for info on stock cams.

When you swap the cam, keep track of the lifters. Each lifter is a matched set with each cam lobe. You will need to make sure the wipe pattern is set up correctly on the lifter lash pad. Search this site for details on how to check for proper cam geometry.

Why do you think you need larger injectors?

Read BRAAPs L6 EFI-induction advice and tips regarding stock EFI mods.

Edited by rossman

Bonus info - the ZX didn't appear until 1979. But the 79 ZX did have the N47 head, as did the 78 280Z. The head will swap straight over for the N42, without even removing the camshaft, or any of the rocker arms. The N42/N42 and N42/N47 engines are essentially identical, except for the shape of the head's exhaust ports, and the liners in the N47 head's ports. If the other engine is in decent shape, it might actually be easier to swap engines. Just something to think about.

The main advice would be to download the FSM from the xenons30 site and read the Engine Mechanical chapter BEFORE you take anything apart.

You need to tell the story about how you screwed up the N42 head though, just to keep people interested.

Bonus info - the ZX didn't appear until 1979. But the 79 ZX did have the N47 head, as did the 78 280Z. The head will swap straight over for the N42, without even removing the camshaft, or any of the rocker arms. The N42/N42 and N42/N47 engines are essentially identical, except for the shape of the head's exhaust ports, and the liners in the N47 head's ports. If the other engine is in decent shape, it might actually be easier to swap engines. Just something to think about.

The main advice would be to download the FSM from the xenons30 site and read the Engine Mechanical chapter BEFORE you take anything apart.

You need to tell the story about how you screwed up the N42 head though, just to keep people interested.

Since i am really into cars and would love to pursue it as a career so felt i needed practice. This entire S30 is being built by me and only me. When i took the head off i noticed all the carbon on the valves and decided to "do the machine shop a favor" and clean it off for them. I used one of the rotary tools from autso zone and took all of it off but left tons of little dings in the compression cylinder and valves. The shop said that this would cause hot spots and destroy the head when it heated up and it would be easier to just buy a new one. I can truthfully say that as a junior in high school i should really ask before doing next time. :unsure: