HybridZ

77 280z alternator upgrade issue

bryand2

Hey guys I just discovered that my 77 already has the 60 amp 280zx alternator upgrade, but when I looked at the way it was wired, it didn't seem correct based on write ups on atlantic z car club and z car creations. The car does run but voltage dips when lights, stereo, heater etc are on. Look at these pics

post-5680-024171000 1350963982_thumb.jpeg

post-5680-086139700 1350963992_thumb.jpeg

post-5680-008271900 1350964003_thumb.jpeg

Pics are too tiny. But there are several ways to wire in the internally regulated alternators, if it charges and the charge lamp works and the battery doesn't drain itself it's probably "right". Have you checked output?

The amperage at idle of the stock 60 amp alternator is on the edge even when all of the electrical connections are clean. Keep cleaning connections, everywhere, including grounds, and the dip will get smaller and smaller. Start with the fusible links. It is possible to make a stock alternator work with no dimming. But after 35 years the small corrosion on every connection adds up to some sizable wasted amps. Relays on the light circuits help also and will save your combination switches.