HybridZ

Seized jet in edelbrock carb

Jasonmreiss

Well the carb is junk now and in the trash :-/

During the rebuild I attempted removing the jets, secondary jets came out fine, but primary jets were stuck. As soon as I applied a bit of pressure the slot for the screwdriver basically crumbled.

I googled the problem and others have experienced the same thing. Their suggestion......break out the drill and keep sizing up until the remaining thin part of the jet "peels out'. I tried that but the jet never peeled out. It's stuck on there forever and the threads were probably screwed up in the process. Boo!

well the carb was having problems anyways, it was part of a dual quad setup on my boat. the other carb disassembled fine and is soaking now. I was just trying to not buy two new carbs. but now ill have to buy a new one. I just thought id share the experience with others so they may learn not to trust everything they read on the internet. lol

BUY TWO NEW CARBS DON'T GET RID OF HALF THE PROBLEM!

You will regret not getting them both NOW, later when the one you DIDN'T replace starts giving you issues.... not to mention flowing differently, etc etc etc...

Personally, I would have drilled and retapped them. It's not that big a deal.

Next time: KROIL or PB Blaster, and if you can heat the carb in boiling water for 20 minutes (baking in the oven is touchy for obvious and wifeal reasons...) Warm/Hot Kroil or PB Blaster does WONDERS for the jets, and soaking them in a warm solution of VANISH toilet bowl cleaner that is about 140-160F (about 5 minutes maximum) really cleans the crud and white gunk that seems to bond brass to mazak!