HybridZ

Sleeving an LS1 block?

What are you trying to get out of it motor wise? If you have a shortblock thats ready to go, just bolt some 243/799 heads on, stick a 228/232 cam in it, and go make ~400rwhp. Unless you are going for retarded power, I think sleeving is overkill. It costs a fortune and the stock LSx(especially the iron ones) blocks will take plenty of power. Once my LS1 finally gives out I plan on doing a 4.8/5.3 truck motor with one(or two) turbos. The iron blocks love boost, are only ~60 pounds heavier, and are cheap. There is so much room in the front of the engine bay in these cars with the small blocks it is just begging for some boost. A truck motor on 8-10 psi will make ~500 wheel, which is enough to put the hurt on most cars when you only weigh 2500 pounds.

On a side note, where are you at in Virginia? My brother is stationed in Norfolk so I was out there for the 2 summers before this last one.

I'm in Spotsylvania, Just a few minutes west of Fredericksburg.

My experience with weight and these cars has shown that 60 pounds is pretty big deal. Last year we were shocked to find that the car was 2709#. I've since done a LOT to get the weight down in to the sub 2600 pound range, but I've spent a ton of coin in the process. The whole purpose of going with the LS motor is to take advantage of the aluminum block and weight savings which has shown here to be about 102 pounds.

Mike

Ya I realized after I posted that you weren't the average person wondering about LSx motors, nor were you building a street car. I know Pat G had a thread over on LS1tech about a 500whp LS1, and it took a lot of work. Don't know what your current shortblock entails, but if its stock cubes, upgrading will probably be the way to go. The bigger bore LSx motors would be a better starting point if you don't want to pay the price for a sleeved block. Where you going surpasses my LSx knowledge though.

-Will

... I personally think 400 WHP with a nice broad torque curve would be ideal...

400Whp is not an option. I'm trying to prepare for class competition that requires 5.5:1 ratio of weight to power. I need 500WHP minimum.

Mike

At this rate, you'll need 600whp by your next post LOL

This might be a site to check out:

http://www.golenengineservice.com/engines/ls-engines/ls-short-block/rhs-short-block-454ci

Edited by SUNNY Z

Sunny, With those posted dates you can gleen that...

A: I have decided to compete in the car in a given class, which changes that statement about 400 HP.

B: I need enough HP to make me competitive in NASA's ST1 class eventially. The Time Trial equivelent still carries the same power to weight ratio.

Mike