HybridZ

Inspiration

See photo. Just a little inspiration for those who are up late trying to finish their conversions and those yet to begin. Tried to credit all who have made it possible, though I've undoubtably left folks out. JCI kit, JTR headers, MGW shifter, 26X8.5X15 MT ET Drag slicks (ColtGT..), 250# coilovers (Ground Control), Tokico Illuminas set on 1 (johnc), PT Cruiser bump stops (jnjdragracing/1QWICKZ), .4 degrees positive static camber via Modern Motorsport adjustable rear LCAs (rags?), DP camber plates (johnc), no rear swaybar (johnc), line-lock (Hurst), 2500 rpm 2-step clutch release (MSD/Red Wrench street rod shop/Charlie Hudnall). ManticER2 clutch kit (East Coast Performance) 3.90 R200 CLSD (CobraMatt), R200 Mustache bar (redleg?) with extra clutches (Savage42), RT diff mount, MSA poly bushings, and JMortensen shortened Z31 CV axles and companion flanges (JMortensen). Lots of encouragement from forum, especially (mnoel, SUNNYZ, and many others). 1.5 sec 60' at Pickwick Dragway, Michie, Tennessee. Enjoy.

post-5903-026217000 1352080233_thumb.jpg

OK, SUNNY, it was 1.594, BARELY a 1.5 / mostly a 1.6 :P . The most recent 60' times are listed to 3 decimal points in my Motorsport thread, second to last post. You still got me beat by a wide margin! I'll post some 1/4-mile times on Sunday-hoping to be going thru the traps a few rpms below the rev-limiter. It will be my first time over 100mph on bias plies with 14psi in them. Expecting it to be a handful.

Edited by RebekahsZ

Think I'm giving in and going solid axle. 8.8 out of a foxbody will fit stock length(Only an inch or 2 wider), so 8.8 with a torque arm setup like the F-bodys, Watts link for lateral location, some universal(QA1 probably) coil overs. Should fit with minimal body hacking, and should still handle well and launch good. Plus without the strut towers I will be able to tuck a WIDE tire out back(Can you say don't dig race me on the street?).

I want to stay with the IRS setup, but it just costs too much to make "strong", the solid 8.8 can be made "bullet-proof" for pretty cheap. Plus I already have a 31 spline trac-lok and some 4.10 gears. The only thing I absolutely don't like about the SRA is the unsprung weight compared to the IRS goes waaaayyyyy up, and with a light car like the Z's, I'm hoping it doesn't try to through it around too much. Either way I'll be able to dump the clutch at 5 grand on some slicks and that will make everything else ok :D .

-Will