HybridZ

Another roll cage..

rnye

So I am having a shop build a roll cage for my Z. I have read over threads here and have tried to take everything into consideration (360* welds, cage design, etc).

The first cage was done a few months ago and was completely wrong. The main hoop was too low and angled so they cut it out and are redoing it. They sent over a few pictures and wanted the "OK" before finishing it up. Any recommendations/input?

cage1j.jpg

cage2d.jpg

if this is for the drag strip, you would be fine. for any type of road course fun, you really need a diagonal from drivers head to passenger floor in the main hoop for roll over protection. there are numerous pics out there and on here that shows it. you might check out john coffeys "johnc" website as it has some great pics.

jimbo

I did but there is just so much information and it seems no two are alike - which is why I am having someone else build it. I just want to run it by those familiar to see how it's shaping up and make sure it's good to go.

As mentioned above, if you're drag racing the cage is fine. If you're planning on doing road racing, track days, autocross, etc. you need a diagonal in the main hoop. I suggest those door be redesigned into X or a NASCAR style and the main hoop rear braces should go to the strut towers to help reinforce the chassis. A second reason the main hoop rear braces should not go to the back of the car is that you need the crush zone in case of a hard rear impact. Those braces, as installed, will transfer much more impact load into the cage and into you. They should also lay the main hoop back a bit more.