HybridZ

Z31T into a first gen Z?

Guest MattZ31

Guest MattZ31

Is it possible to drop an 86 turbo motor into either a 74, or 79 Z? I was looking to drop a new motor in, because stock L engines are kinda slow, at least after coming from driving my 300ZX turbo. Anyways, the tranny in my 300 died and I figure if I buy another Z, I could just drop my lighter, smaller, more powerful v6 engine in. Any help or websites would be appreciated. MattZ31@aol.com if you wanna email

Well, certainly anything can be done.

I know of one member of this forum (Morgan) who was all set to do this swap as he is an avid Z31 guy. But he decided it would be too much effort, mostly due to exhaust routing issues and is instead going to put in a L28 turbo.

The main problem (as I recall from postings here that you could search for) is that the turbo as OEM positioned will interfere with the steering shaft on the Z.

------------------

240Z.jeromio.com

Guest Speaker

kinda slow?

aww man you know they aren't biggrin.gif

the L28 is EASY because it bolts right in

and I6 sounds better IMO smile.gif

you should check out J Taylors car if you think I6s are slow wink.gif

the 280zx turbo motor is very very nice smile.gif

Guest MattZ31

Nooo! The TURBOS are not slow, I said the plain old engine is slow! My dad's 79, is just really sluggish. It's tons of fun to drive, and lots of people THINK it's really fast, just because the way the car looks. If you were just a normal person and didn't knw what the Z was, and saw one in good shape, you'd be like man, I'll bet he's fast! But the plain old Z is slow until you get to 84 when they beefed it up alittle.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

i am the one who has the 71 240z with vg30turbo eng. the swap is not that difficult. i am putting out 379hp at rear wheels and 470 ft pds of torque. runs 11.9 at116 and radar clocked at 173. car is set up for road race courses. i run 3:36 gearing. also have air cond,300zx seats,roll bar,300zx brakes and suspension mods. the car is very nice for traveling or raceing. avg 24mpg if foot is not in turbo. it is a very nice swap and have never been betten.

PTURBOZ,

welcome, I have been searching for you for a long time. I do not have any regrets about my current setup, but if I had found you when I was comtemplating the swap, I probably would have gone the VG30T route.

What mods have you done to get that power?

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

Guest Anonymous

WHERE DID YOU GET THE PICTURE. SPECS. SPORT 350 TURBO,ADJ BOOST, 420CC INJ,COMPUTER MODS,INTERCOOLER, 60MM T BODY,REWORKED INT MAN,BOSCH FUEL PUMP,MSD IGN,EXTRUDE HONED EX MANIFOLDS,BAL ENG,HEADS POLISHED AND PORTED,STOCK CAMS,ALUM FLYWHEEL. I HAVE HAD A PROBLEM WITH HP START DROPPING AT 5 GRAND.DID SOME TESTING AND FOUND THE TURBO IS MAXED OUT. I WILL BE CHANGING TO LARGER TURBO. SHOULD BE ABLE TO GAIN 100 TO 150 HP AND ABOUT 1500 RPM. I RUN 16PDS BOOST ON 92 OCTANE FUEL AND23LBS ON 100. CAR WOULD BE FASTER IN 1/4 MILE WITH AUTO TRANS AS T5 IS NOT A GOOD SHIFTER.

Guest Anonymous

I was thinking of a similar swap.

There is a 73 260z (not running but with a decent body) for $300 near me. Another guy has an 84 300zx turbo/5 speed with only 70k miles that runs like a top -- probelm = bad body, for $825.

How much of the 84 could be moved over into the 73? Could the entire drivetrain be moved over?

It has the makings of a cool project, as the pics here show.

Aldo

do that, thats cheap!

the swap should be pretty straight forward, just swap as much 300zx into that first gen, maybe go painless wiring harness for extra safety, man you can swap so much straight acrosss as far as the rear end and driveshaft, brakes, man you have the makings of a really quick car, freakin do it!

Details on how the exhaust was routed would be key!

These engines are very easy to get. In my area I can get a L28T or a VG30ET for pretty much the same price. (Can't use my current 5 spd with the VG though, so that'd be extra cost.) Many more VGs to choose from though. There's one yard that even offers a 6 month warranty.

Cross flow heads, plus a sconch more displacement - I would very much like some more info on this swap.....

------------------

240Z.jeromio.com

pturboz-i will be at stanford nissan too.i will bring new turbo for you to look at.i was at a used jap engine shop a year ago and they had some non-us spec engines sitting around.the engine that caught my eye is whats called a nissan cima engine.it is dohc v6 with single turbo-the guy wanted to sell these cheap.i am a scrounge-cheap or free is best.

Guest Anonymous

Fairlady327

I figured that it would be the cheapest route to go by combining the 2 cars. Just how much of the newer 84 will transplant into the older 73?

Please bear with me as this will be my first project!

Thanks,

Aldo

• 3 years later...

I too am attempting this swap. I have an 85 300zx turbo, and a 1976 datsun 280z. My current plans are to finish rebuilding my vg30et with a t3/t4 hybrid turbo. The plans are to make a set of mounts using the vg30et/borg t5 tranny in the 280z body utilizing stock mounting lactions of both the motor, tranny, and the 280z's mounting lacations. With a CNC lathe and Albrie, patterns could be made for more. My brothers a wiz with autocad.