HybridZ

R180 LSD noise symptom of ?

srgunz

This is how my differential is acting. Its a R180 4:11 with a factory Limited Slip. New it had no unusual annoying noises. Now with about 25 thousand miles on it I have this annoying howeling noise at light throttle cruise. If you step on the gas and put a load on it , the noise goes away and is very quiet. The same when you let up on the gas and decelerate the noise goes away as well. Its right in that sweet spot where you always cruise at light throttle. At all speeds , around town or on the highway does not matter. Do you think a front or side bearing. Ring and pinion?

is this viscous or clutch type? what brand lsd? I don't think they ever had a factory r180 lsd, but I could be wrong. Where did you buy it? and how many miles where on it when you bought it? did you service it before you put it in or just drop it in?

From you're description it sounds like something is loose, possibly a bearing like you stated, or it could have just loosened up after 25k miles. what about when you turn does it go away on when you turn a certain direction? How have you been driving it? streets only or track or a mixture?

Lastly are you positive its the diff? have you eliminated a loose driveshaft/sideaxles and rear wheel bearings?

Sorry for the barrage of questions but you didn't post a lot of info.

Some info on noises. LSDs only work when you're turning, so this sounds like it's not an LSD problem. Based on the below, probably a pinion bearing.

Looks like my links didn't work. There are two diff noise pages off of this link:

http://www.ringpinion.com/TechnicalHelp/HowTo.aspx

Edited by JMortensen

Have you changed tires recently? I recently went on a road trip and switched from my race tires to my wide street tires. I have no sound insulation in the car. The tires howled the whole trip. Tires can make a lot of noise and this is very easy to check if you have a spare set of wheels and tires.

I think JMortenson is on the right track. This is a clutch LSD purchased from Datsun Comp. Department.

We are talking straight line driving. Nice and quiet in turns.

May have to send it out to SanFran Differential Repair. Heard good reports on them.

Thanks.