HybridZ

Race prep mods to the shell - 1970 240z

Since I decided to build a rotisserie and go over the car with more detail than originally intended, I figured I'd see what other suggestions there may be for the shell.

So far:

1. Seam welds

2. Roll Cage

3. New larger frame rails

4. Holes drilled into inner fenders - I've heard these cars have issues with the front end floating at higher speeds

This is a road race car with a powerful 302, obviously needed stiffening which should be handled, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I'd suggest you post up your cage design before you start welding it in. Just take pictures and draw it out in paint, or use the chassis dimensions schematic which I think is in the downloads section. We have some pretty smart guys here who have some nice cages and might be able to help get the design optimized.

Are you running in a particular class, or just a track day car? I'd think venting the hood would be better than putting holes in the fenderwells. Depending on the cage you might even be able to take out large portions of the fenderwell in addition to hood vents. Is this going to be driven on the street too, or trailer only? Have you seen 74_5.0L_Z's car? It's not a bad place to look for ideas...

Derr, yes I forgot to mention the hood vents. I wasn't trying to re-invent the wheel, so I stole this cage layout:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/106109-series-1-240z-roll-cage-build/#entry992661

Thanks again BTW Rob

It'll basically just be for track days, but in case I decide later I'd like to take it up a notch I'll have the option.

I don't know how I managed to miss that member. THANKS!

From what I've seen and read about the chassis, the float is most likely coming from lack of downforce in the front end, a cheap and simple idea might also to install front canards into the bumper to help push the front down end.

I know when I had my FD I used to get a little front end float at around 120 but once I installed the front lip it went away.

Just a thought to consider at the least.

Derr, yes I forgot to mention the hood vents. I wasn't trying to re-invent the wheel, so I stole this cage layout:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/106109-series-1-240z-roll-cage-build/#entry992661

Thanks again BTW Rob

It'll basically just be for track days, but in case I decide later I'd like to take it up a notch I'll have the option.

I don't know how I managed to miss that member. THANKS!

Anytime. Been a pleasure visting with you and having you come over and see the car. Pics dont do justice.

Wow... That build thread with the roll cage is spectacular. Makes me realize how much I have left to go! Gonna have to bookmark it so when I get to that point, I'll have the information.

As far as the original post, I was also gonna do just what was needed, and now I am stripping it down to just the shell. I will feel better knowing all the parts are new and everything is perfectly restored. I am also opting for a rotisserie with my car. I think welding in a roll cage on a rotisserie would also be easier since you can cut the floor out for the cage, then flip the car sideways and drop the cage further through the hole and weld the top of the cage. Glad I stumbled on this one. :)