HybridZ

over heating lq4

codes:

p0480

p0481

p1258

I replaced the water pump, thermostat and did a full flush. The car overheats within 4 min..I have no clue what else it could be. The fan comes on when i cycle the key and stays on untill i turn the engine off Although This is how it behaved when i got it. There is a single 14" electric fan that pulls plenty of air.

With in 4 minutes!  It sounds like your not getting water circulation through the engine.  / air trapped !  I would bet  your radiator water is not much more than warm in 4 minutes. Not sure how your engines plumbed but  back fill the engines water jacket at its highest point and try to burp the air out.

well you guys where right. I filled up the jackets and let it run without the radiator cap on it for about 20 min and it stabilized around 196-201 degrees (very slowly climbing after that) I still feel like its running a little hot for my taste. Any suggestions to bring the temps down to say 190?

Edited by CrayZ

I THINK in the stock LS vehicle, the low-speed fan comes on at 210 and the high speed fan doesn't come on until 239.  If you only have one fan, it is usually wired to the low-speed wire.  I think these engines were made to run hot.

Couple guys on LS1 tech confirmed this. Thanks!

Mine will run about 200 and at the track about 210, I do know and heard from several LSx tuners that they like to run hot. Right now I have to change the temp in my ecu when my fans comes one because I have them tied together and even at 90 degree days the car wont go over 180ish which i believe is a little cool for the engine esp track days 40-60 min sessions.

Cruising around town it runs around 190-200. It will reach 210 sitting at traffic. I'm pretty sure the fan is permenetly on.. I still think I might have an issue. I'm going to do another oil change and check for coolant when I eat this damn rear end squared away.

I only have LT1/OBD1 experience and none with the LSX series engines ButI  I know with the LT1 motor getting all the air out is critical because of the reverse flow heads etc they even have bleeder screws at the high point and I still jacked the nose up to make the radiator cap the highest point.

If the fan is staying on all the time then there is a problem and the motor is running in limp mode, On the OBD1 you need to set the low speed fan Hi and Low temp and the Hi speed fan Hi and Low temp, I am assuming the OBD2 is the same.

I have a 160 degree thermostat and a two speed Taurus fan I set the Low speed low temp at 180 and the High speed low temp at 190, the car has never run hotter than 190 even on the hottest new england summer day in traffic... the fan does kick on often in traffic though.