HybridZ

minimum msns

mattb3562

Hey guys, I've been planning the l28et swap into my 76 for about 3 months now, researching and gathering new parts. Rebuilding engine, and refreshing trans. Now it's down to the swap and how to control it. I know through others experience, MS is the way to go, but I'm on a super tight budget because of wife and two young girls. I have everything that ran on a stock 82 zxt, but was wanting to run about 14 psi of boost max. I have already gathered 440cc injectors, but I'm sure that will overload the engine without a tuneable ecu. What I'm wondering is, what is the bare minimum that I should have to buy from DIY to control my engine. I'm going to use my stock distributor, coil, and crank sensor, but I wanna do away with AFM. I've got the 60mm throttle body with tps and I can build my own harness. I know that I'll have to get a tuning cable, but I don't know if it will be neccesary for the stim. Would the MS1 kit be feasible for this amount of boost without controlling the spark? I would love to have the 3.0, but like I said, budget is the main factor. I am gonna part out my harness, ecu, and afm to help pay for the MS. Sorry for rambling, but all input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

If you are buying the MS1 kit, borrow a stim from someone, unless you are very experienced with electronic kit construction. MS1 Extra (the extra code does spark too) will easily do an L28ET at 14lbs, no problem.

Do you have the 81 turbo crank sensor, or the 82-83 turbo distributor? The turbo dizzy is well documented here, but the 81 crank sensor can be used too, if you are willing to spend the time with a file to go through and edit the tooth count on the wheel. Using the crank sensor type system is rather undocumented, but if you have the patience then yes, it can be done. Might mean making a new trigger wheel from sheet steel.

Get the MS1 3.0 kit. The 2.2 kit is cheaper, but it is more susceptible to electrical noise, and an MS reset at 14lbs boost is NOT going to be a pretty thing.  You definitely don't need the MS2 or MS3 kit unless you just want the extra features, MS1 with the Extra code installed can handle 80% of the L28et's out there.

The price difference of a 3.0 kit vs. a 2.2 kit is $50 at DIYAutoTune. If you don't have that extra $50 now, I would hold off on buying until you do. 3.0 is much more refined and you'll have way more support from users here, and elsewhere, that also use the 3.0 board.

Looking at it another way, you'll easily save the $50 price difference because you'd likely spend substantially more than that trying to get your car to run reliably on the 2.2 board!

I'll use the dizzy from an 82 with internal crank sensor. Sorry for the newb questions as this is my first turbo set up. Is the "extra" code for the MS1 something that can be downloaded to the ecu? And what exactly is the stim for? I know ur all laughing right now but I've been reading some on the DIY site and havn't easily found the answers I am looking for. I'm gonna have lots of unused parts for sale or would trade for a minimal MS setup that I could use if anyone is interested.

I think I'm just gonna break down and order the Ms2 kit and and IAT sensor. I'll wait on the stim and relay board and build a harness. Also, I think I'm gonna have to get that USB to serial adapter as I don't have a DB9 port on my laptop. All the parts I have to sell should almost pay for it. Thanks fellas!

I was reading Moby's writeup on the MsnS install and seen that he built a resistor pack to the injectors. Does ms1 with extra code not have a setting to choose high or low impedence injectors? I'm trying to weigh out the differences between this and ms2 and if the difference is worth it for me. Thanks

MS1 Extra works with either high or low impedance injectors. I'm running MS1 V3.0 with 440cc low impedance injectors utilizing the PWM circuitry built-in to the board and it works well. Moby's writeup has some very good information in there but he was running a 2.2 board at that time, so some of the stuff need not apply (like the resistor pack stuff and utilizing an HEI module to fire your coil). DIYAutoTune has a very good writeup on installing MS1 V3.0 (or MS2) on a 280ZX turbo right here: http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/how_to_megasquirt_your_280zx_turbo.htm

I followed the DIY install article exactly as it is written and it works quite nicely.

MS1 V3.0 has nearly all the capability of MS2. The main noticeable difference is the capability of MS2 to control your injectors to a higher resolution (MS1 has .1ms resolution, MS2 has .01ms resolution). This difference will be most apparent in the idle quality of installs using relatively large injectors (your 440s would fall into that category). With MS1 you will be able to get a nice and smooth idle but it will probably be a little richer than you'd like, probably around the 11-12 AFR range, and you'll probably have some visible exhaust smoke. With MS2 you'd be able to get your idle AFR right where you want it, around the 14-15 AFR range with less visible exhaust. At all other running conditions the difference in injector resolution won't be too noticeable, both will work great but MS2 will be a touch smoother.

If you can afford to go with MS2, do it. Far more people on this forum are using MS2 which means you'd have more support using that platform. But if you get MS1 V3.0 you can always upgrade to MS2 later for about $100 or so.

Edited by OhBilly