HybridZ

EFI Live

I would like to run a tune on my lq4. Been looking at HPtuners but I really don't want to spend extra money to have someone unlock my PCM. Can EFI live tuners work the PCM without having to buy credits to unlock the pcm? Anyone in houston area tune there own car? I'm looking for options local to me first but don't mind sending off my PCM to get worked. Anyone have any good info on this? I'm getting a hard start and what sounds like fuel in the exhuast on startup. Hoping a better tune can sort this out for me.

Edited by CrayZ

I can't speak for EFI Live but...

I bought HP Tuners a year ago and the program comes w/ enough credit to plug into 3 or 4 GM vehicles (perhaps less for something other than GM).  Once credit is applied to a vehicle you have unlimited access to the vehicle.  There are tons of pre-made HP Tunes on the HP Tuners board (run at your own risk).  I've been super happy with the program and it saved my brother in-law $150 the price of tuning at a local dyno shop when using my HP Tuners "Dongle" and passcode.  The data logging feature is really nice and makes it easy to troubleshoot problems that occur during drivabilty and WOT runs.  I'm also using it on my Datsun to disable the rear O2s, the VATS etc. and tune/dial-in the motor/auto-trans.

If someone didn't want to drop the $650 for unlimited access to multiple cars I would suggest going to a local tuner and paying them to troubleshoot/repair the issue (this route might cost $250 to $500).

My tuner in fort worth is $200 for a tune but with fuel in the exhaust from a cold start you sure you dont have leaky injectors? I had an injector stick open fill a cylinder with gas which ended up snapping a rod the next time i started it.

Hydro lock.. Man that scares the shit out of me. How can you check for leaky injectors?

Another way to check for leaky injectors is to perform a leak down test by installing a fuel pressure gage onto the schrader valve located at the front of the LH fuel rail (assuming stock fuel rail).  Turn the key on to build pressure (values that come to mind are ~50-60lbs) then turn the key off.  The owners manual has a spec. for the pressure and duration the system should hold pressure/bleed down.  If it bleeds down quick additional diagnostics would be required to determine where the leak is coming from (fuel lines, check valve, regulator, injector etc.). 

Pressure will slowly bleed down when everything is ok, but it takes anywhere from an hour to 3 or 4 hours to do so. If after 15 or 30 minutes all your pressure has bleed off you have a problem.

A leaky injector should/could throw a code that could be read from the PCM (one bank or perhaps both running rich).

You can also check for leaking injectors by unbolting the fuel rail and pulling the rail with injectors out of the intake so you can see the ends of the injectors. Do a key on prime and watch for injectors that are leaking fuel . If they don't leak within a few minutes, check every 10 minutes or so for about and hour to make sure. Also have a fuel pressure gage on the schrader valve to see how fast pressure is bleeding down.

Good luck...

Another way to check for leaky injectors is to perform a leak down test by installing a fuel pressure gage onto the schrader valve located at the front of the LH fuel rail (assuming stock fuel rail).  Turn the key on to build pressure (values that come to mind are ~50-60lbs) then turn the key off.  The owners manual has a spec. for the pressure and duration the system should hold pressure/bleed down.  If it bleeds down quick additional diagnostics would be required to determine where the leak is coming from (fuel lines, check valve, regulator, injector etc.). 

Pressure will slowly bleed down when everything is ok, but it takes anywhere from an hour to 3 or 4 hours to do so. If after 15 or 30 minutes all your pressure has bleed off you have a problem.

A leaky injector should/could throw a code that could be read from the PCM (one bank or perhaps both running rich).

You can also check for leaking injectors by unbolting the fuel rail and pulling the rail with injectors out of the intake so you can see the ends of the injectors. Do a key on prime and watch for injectors that are leaking fuel . If they don't leak within a few minutes, check every 10 minutes or so for about and hour to make sure. Also have a fuel pressure gage on the schrader valve to see how fast pressure is bleeding down.

Good luck...

what he said^^^^

Regarding o-rings...  There are two o-rings per injector.  The lower one has nothing to do with a fuel leak issue.  The upper one (interface between the injector and fuel rail) could be leaking but if they were you most likely would see/detect/smell a fuel leak at the top of the injector (without removing anything).

I got thinking...  an OEM/factory fuel injection setup will have a check valve located in the system (typically located in the in-tank fuel pump).  This is done to maintain system pressure to ensure quick start-up w/o excessive key-on prime delay.  Depending on your fuel pump/regulator selection your system may not hold pressure therefore the OEM/stock way of monitoring pressure at key off (as mentioned above) may not be valid for your vehicle.

In other words...  Try pulling the injectors out of the intake manifold (as mentioned in the post above) to determine if any of the injectors are leaking. 

Good luck!  Let us know how it goes.

lol ya you cant do that take each injector and literally blow through them if you can blow through it it leaks or take the intake off with the fuel system attached but no electrical connectors on the injectors and cycle the key

Edited by mattd428

2 tie wraps on each injector in a crisscross pattern will hold them in the rail when the rail is not bolted to the intake manifold.

I'm about 99% sure the drop in pressure is fuel going back to the tank via the fuel pumps.

Joe